Bunny in Bedroom

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToffeeBun

Reaction score
Hi there!
I have an adorable holland lop bun name Toffee, who's almost 7months old. We usually have a good routine with her to let her be completely free roam throughout our apartment from 6:30am-ish until around 7/8pm-ish, which is when we shut the door to our bedroom. That's when we have more playtime with her in the rest of the apartment. We have this setup because she loves to lay under the bed and be in the bedroom, but at night she is quite active, lots of zoomies and binkys and cute bunny rascal-ness. Last night though she managed to sneak back into the bedroom after we thought we'd coaxed her out, and neither of us had the energy to coax her out again, so we left the bedroom door open and called it a night. We were not prepared for the bunny mayhem of her jumping all over the bed, and us - particularly our faces, haha, at around 1am which lasted until about 4am. Didn't poop or pee, just had a grand 'ol time exploring and waking us up : ) She's only ever gotten on the bed one before last night, and I can never coax her on the bed (she does come when called, so I try to call her up the bed and she never takes the bait, hah)

So I'm wondering if anyone else has a free roam bunny with any training advice for this type of situation. Does anyone have a bun who sleeps in their bedroom without issue? If so, how did you make that work? I'm just trying to figure out if there is a way to make this part of a new routine, or if we should go back to our old routine of closing the bedroom door in the evening. I'd love to make this part of a routine, but I also know that my head can't take being jumped on 6 times a night either! So just trying to figure out the balance so everybody's happy : )

I had a rabbit that shared my room in the past, and 5-6am she was up on the bed, whiskers tickling my face, waking me up to feed her breakfast. But luckily she left me to sleep earlier in the night.

Maybe try your old routine of coaxing her out at dinner time. Use treats or make it her feeding time so she will be trained to naturally want to come out at that time. Then let her get all that energy out before bedtime. It's possible because it was her first time with this change of routine, that she got all excited and so was up all night wanting to play. And it may be that as she gets used to it being normal, that she will settle down and sleep the night. Rabbits usually can get pretty excited with something new like that, but as it becomes normal and routine, they calm right down.

I know others on here that successfully share their room with their bun, and the bun settles in for the night. But I also know of others that had the same issue of their rabbit wanting to jump on the bed(and them) and play all night. So it's just trial and error. See what will work for you and your bun. I loved having those little excited whiskers in my face waking me up in the morning, but I don't think I would have liked it so much if she was running all over my bed all night long every night :p

Thank you so much for the insight - It's unbelievably helpful! I feel like I might go back to the old routine until I can train her a little bit more. Right now there is no clear schedule other than the time I let her be free roam in the morning, so I think we need to create a more consistent schedule first before we try to migrate into the bedroom every night. As it stands now she'll be happy as a clam sitting on our faces and hopping all over the bed every night, haha. But it's really reassuring that other bun parents have gotten it to work with their buns sleeping in the room with them. It's honestly challenging to remember to shut the bedroom door EVERY time after 8pm, ha.

But this prompts a desperate question: Can you explain what you do for 'feeding time'? Or break down what that looks like in your house and how you manage your buns food? Right now she has unlimited timothy hay (wafer cut) and oxbow essentials pellets. But other than that she's still suuuuper picky with greens. I'm going to try another tactic someone recommended this week and see if I can get her more familiar with greens and see if I can find one she likes (right now it's ONLY kale, which I know you can only give sparingly). So any recommendations or insights into 'feeding time' would be great!

Latest posts

Back