Bunny house materials, help needed :/

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bengisudeveci

Reaction score
İ have been meaning to get this cat house for my bunny. Material options are plywood- which i think if he chews it, will cause a problem. Oak tree, pine tree, alder tree. I couldn’t find any reliable info on oak or alder tree. And i know pine tree may cause liver problems if not kiln dried but i am not sure the product will be. Does anyone know Oak or Alder tree is safe for rabbits ? I doubt he will chew a lot but still rabbits are mischievous sometimes and if he chews its better to be safe.

Attachments

• 54C3B828-C649-4B05-80C0-B296F026C3E1.jpeg
    54C3B828-C649-4B05-80C0-B296F026C3E1.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 4
In my opinion, it really doesn't matter. Even if they chew it they ingest very little if anything at all. The plywood parts of my hutches remain pretty much unchewed.
No, you don't know that pine causes liver problems, you read it on the internet, that's not the same thing. Google will tell you everything you are looking for, not necessarily the answer to your question.
And even there the discussion is about shavings (always fresh, huge surface area), not boards. Maybe an interesting read on that topic (I know, just another thing to read on the internet :D):
https://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-litter.htmlTannins aren't really a problem in that regard either, i would consider the other woods ok too.

As a side not: Contrary to cats or dogs, my rabbits do not use anything with just one opening, except as nest box or litter box. I would use cardboard boxes to test out what is comfortable for your rabbit before investing in something permanent.

Last edited:
In my opinion, it really doesn't matter. Even if they chew it they ingest very little if anything at all. The plywood parts of my hutches remain pretty much unchewed.
No, you don't know that pine causes liver problems, you read it on the internet, that's not the same thing. Google will tell you everything you are looking for, not necessarily the answer to your question.
And even there the discussion is about shavings (always fresh, huge surface area), not boards. Maybe an interesting read on that topic (I know, just another thing to read on the internet :D):
https://www.raising-rabbits.com/rabbit-litter.htmlTannins aren't really a problem in that regard either, i would consider the other woods ok too.

As a side not: Contrary to cats or dogs, my rabbits do not use anything with just one opening, except as nest box or litter box. I would use cardboard boxes to test out what is comfortable for your rabbit before investing in something permanent.
Thank youu, i think i am gonna choose oak and yes i have made a house like this from cardboard he loved it. Ofc it was quickly destroyed😂 and found this on mediarabbit

Attachments

• 9256EA75-08DF-43CB-8545-62450978337B.jpeg
    9256EA75-08DF-43CB-8545-62450978337B.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back