bunny has scabs on his mouth and the edge of his eye

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam_

Reaction score
Brownie has scabs on each side of his mouth and is losing fur around the front of his eye and that also has scabs.
I'm taking him to the vet on the 30th and I jus want to know what it might be

Sounds like it could be rabbit syphilis. Completely treatable with pen g procaine/benzathine injections.

MediRabbit (rabbit syphilis)

MediRabbit (atypical rabbit syphilis)

Provided this is what your rabbit has, it's important to be aware that the treatment with penicillin, even by injection(never orally in rabbits), can pose a slight risk in rabbits of possible antibiotic induced diarrhea and enterotoxemia. So I would be very careful about cleaning off any leakage at the injection site so it's not inadvertently ingested while grooming. I would also feed a high grass hay diet(ensuring rabbit is eating the hay well), very limited pellets, and no sugary/high carb foods. This is to maximize good gut motility and microbial balance, to help minimize the risks that some antibiotics pose disrupting the GI flora.
https://sawneeanimalclinic.com/downloads/clostridial_enterotoxicosis_in_rabbits.pdf
Benebac plus probiotics may also be beneficial to give during the treatment. Then keep a very close eye out for signs of lack of appetite and watery or pudding like fecal droppings(not the same as mushy cecotropes), which is considered an emergency.

thank you
Is it urgent to get him to the vet today, or can he go to his checkup on the 30th?

Call your vet and ask, but as long as it's not severely progressed and bun is still eating and behaving normally, it's not usually an immediate emergency.

Look at the second medirabbit link I posted. It shows photos of one rabbits progression of the disease. Severe would be progressed enough to cause significant lesions/sores, causing enough discomfort and pain to affect appetite.

should I make him a sock collar so that he doesn't itch it?

sock not shock

Up to you. If he's trying to scratch at it excessively. But as far as I know, this doesn't cause excessive itchiness or scratching.

If he is itching and scratching, it could be something else like mites.

Latest posts

Back