Bunny has nose injury from scratching

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niko Lee

Reaction score
Yesterday I noticed that my bunny's nose looked kind of crusty but when I looked at it closer, it seems she injured herself from scratching it. I cleaned up all of their play areas and their food/litter area as well just in case it could be because of bugs. Could it be because of fleas or mites? My other bunny seems fine though. But I have noticed Indiko scratching herself quite a lot lately. What should I do?What do I need to buy? I'll try to get a picture of her nose, she's a bit camera shy

She's only missing hair and seems to be injured on the nose area. She's a lionhead so her coat is very thick but I didn't notice any creepy crawlies

Attachments

• 20200419_165153.jpg
    20200419_165153.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 8
Bunny needs to see the bunny vet. May need ivermectin injections. Paws don't look right either. I wonder whether it could be sarcoptic mange.

Bunny needs to see the bunny vet. May need ivermectin injections. Paws don't look right either. I wonder whether it could be sarcoptic mange.
I checked and her paws are fine, just a little off white from playing around in the hay. The only visibly affected area so far is the nose, and there seems to be an itch behind the ears. I think it might be mites? Do I have to go to the vet for mites or can I treat my bunny myself with over the counter products?

Give it a bath if you can. The mites are usually in the ear like cats. You can use baby oil and please be careful.

I checked and her paws are fine, just a little off white from playing around in the hay. The only visibly affected area so far is the nose, and there seems to be an itch behind the ears. I think it might be mites? Do I have to go to the vet for mites or can I treat my bunny myself with over the counter products?
Do not wash the bunny. Do not put anything in bunny's ears ever without consulting a vet. (I didn't think you would do that but I see others have suggested these things.) Even if you think it's mites, best to go to the vet.

my rabbit is ok with maybe half an inch of water and he always gets in the Rubbermaid tub on his own terms
and I've only washed him a few times for things that he couldn't get out of his fur (like tree sap)

Do not wash the bunny. Do not put anything in bunny's ears ever without consulting a vet. (I didn't think you would do that but I see others have suggested these things.) Even if you think it's mites, best to go to the vet.
I normally wouldn't, but there are a lot of quarantine restrictions in place where I'm at. Getting to a vet that specializes in rabbits is not easy /:

Latest posts

Back