Bunny has hard stomach

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianaNicula

Reaction score
Since friday my bunny won’t eat normally. On Friday she didn’t eat neither poop, on Saturday i took her to the vet and the vet gave me critical care to force feed her. She started to drink water on her own that night. Today I started giving her simeticone for gassy bowls and she started eating lettuce, carrots and a little hay. She also pooped regular shaped round poop. The big problem now is that I can feel her stomach really hardened and she seems sleepy all the time she stopped jumping around. I don’t have the vet nearby. What should I do? What could be happening to my bunny?

You need to put your bunny on a strict hay diet. When the stomach start to mess up.

Seem like she have gasses, so let her have simeticone, force feed her. If she start eating on her own, she should only have hay for a couple of days.

You can also help with massaging the stomach to keep it going and help it work.

Hope everything goes well with your bunny.

You need to put your bunny on a strict hay diet. When the stomach start to mess up.

Seem like she have gasses, so let her have simeticone, force feed her. If she start eating on her own, she should only have hay for a couple of days.

You can also help with massaging the stomach to keep it going and help it work.

Hope everything goes well with your bunny.
Thank you
What bothers me is how hard her stomach feels? Is it from the gas or it could be something worse?

When a bunny stomach get bloated it will feel hard.

I know that when my bunny ate something he was not supposed to do and got GI stasis, his stomach felt extremely hard.

Had to leave him at the vet for the night because he refused taking critical care even when I force fed him.

If your bunny won’t start eating on her own, try to find a rabbit savy vet. They can be in a lot of pain without you knowing of it.

But it’s important for her to get food and water in the system.

Hard to tell from here, but in my opinion for now it's more important that she keeps eating.

A gentle belly massage is good advice, to get things moving, you'll see soon if she likes it, then keep it up for 10-15 minutes, every few hours. I put the rabbit on my legs when sitting and rock them in such a case because most of mine don't let me touch their belly.
Encourage her to hop around a little on her own, same effect.

What is the normal diet of your rabbit?
Is she used to greens like grass and weeds?

Anyway, there are some safe greens you can offer, like narrowleaf plantain, leaves of apple trees, roses, blackberry etc., if she is used to greens I would offer anything she might like.
Syringe feeding critical care or similiar stuff and water doesn't hurt, just be patient doing it, only a small amount behind the front teeth at a time.

I would cut out sugary things like carrots and restrict rich stuff for now, but hay only imho is more for cases of diarrhia, problems due to a too rich diet.

Latest posts

Back