Bunny has a mass in stomach, vet thinks cardboard

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bengisudeveci

Reaction score
My bunny hasnt been eating by his own since yesterday afternoon. I syringe fed him home made from pellet pineapple food. We took him to the vet today, xray shows he has a very bloated stomach and some gas in his intestines. He had a rectal medicine, pain medicine. Vet says these 3 days are very critical if he cant get it out he may have to have operation. I am very upset he lately was eating a lot of cardboard so i stop giving it to him. But it still made him sick.his stomach is clogged with this. Any one experienced stomach issues, how was the recovery ?

The vet needs to go ahead and remove the blockage instead of giving him Critical Care. Force-feeding him will only make the blockage worse. If you do not want to do an operation, then another option would be to have him on lots of fluids and try to get the blockage to move on its own.
How much hay does he normally eat? He shouldn't have gotten a blockage from if he has been eating lots of hay.

The vet needs to go ahead and remove the blockage instead of giving him Critical Care. Force-feeding him will only make the blockage worse. If you do not want to do an operation, then another option would be to have him on lots of fluids and try to get the blockage to move on its own.
How much hay does he normally eat? He shouldn't have gotten a blockage from if he has been eating lots of hay.
He was eating hay like he always has until yesterday morning. when i wake up i always check his hay and he didnt eat much. i think vet thinks beacuse its cardboard not something sharp it could go away with poop. And he is pooping. He also eats some hay on his own. We are hoping the carboard which became mushy in his stomach will go away and they gonna take xrays tomorrow hope it will be good. We are hoping Operation wont be necessary beacuse it would be hard and very expensive for us to pay at the moment. I am praying it will be okey. Also He eats some leafy greens when i hold it to him.

He was eating hay like he always has until yesterday morning. when i wake up i always check his hay and he didnt eat much. i think vet thinks beacuse its cardboard not something sharp it could go away with poop. And he is pooping. He also eats some hay on his own. We are hoping the carboard which became mushy in his stomach will go away and they gonna take xrays tomorrow hope it will be good. We are hoping Operation wont be necessary beacuse it would be hard and very expensive for us to pay at the moment. I am praying it will be okey. Also He eats some leafy greens when i hold it to him.
Since he is eating hay and pooping it sounds like an operation won't be necessary! Praying the vet appointment goes well tomorrow!

If he is eating and pooping, he doesn't have a blockage. The 'pineapple pellets' don't sound too good. Fruit should really be avoided. Can you not get good rabbit pellets there? Try to get your bunny to eat lots of hay and some wet greens he is used to. Vet should have given you pain medication and gut stimulants to give at home. You did the right thing taking away the cardboard if he was eating it. Did the vet check teeth with an otoscope?

Latest posts

Back