Bunny has a large sore on foot

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellarmanone

Reaction score
I don’t want any hate post. I already feel bad enough that I let my rabbit’s foot get this bad and that I may have to put her down because of something I neglected. I just want help and instructions on what this is and if it’s even possible to treat. The reason she looks wet is because I soaked her bottom half to see how large the area was, whether there we more spots, and to clean off the area I saw that was hurt.
Here is what I know: This past summer we got this Rex. She had a very small spot on her foot. I thought it felt like a bone spur and I didn’t think too much about it. Later on i noticed that it was bleeding on a small spot on her foot and thought we may have left a screw or something that poked through her cage when we built it so we inspected her cage and found a couple of screws that were poking out on the sides. We fixed that and again didn’t think to much about her foot. (By the way, she’s always hanging with some of her girl bunny friends so it’s not like we’re constantly cuddling with her to notice small things close up) but anyway a little while later I noticed that she preferred to keep her lower end sideways most of the time. When I inspected her, I noticed what you see in the pictures, just about half that size. At this point we used hay in her cage because we thought that she may have kept scratching or poking her foot on some spot we were missing. We put antibiotic cream on it and just kept an eye on it. Well I saw some blood on her food pad and reinspected her foot. This is what you see now.
I soaked her bottom to get off any dirt or gunk and this is the picture. Her cage stays pretty clean, it’s just that she wasn’t jumping around much for obvious reasons.
What kind of sore is it? Can this be treated?

Attachments

• 519BD1E0-BC5C-41CD-B996-62FDFB26BC65.jpeg
    519BD1E0-BC5C-41CD-B996-62FDFB26BC65.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 6FAEDA97-3FC6-4786-848A-EBDF67503E73.jpeg
    6FAEDA97-3FC6-4786-848A-EBDF67503E73.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 9
  • FE2C9647-8D44-44E9-8A0A-C738E9CF15BF.jpeg
    FE2C9647-8D44-44E9-8A0A-C738E9CF15BF.jpeg
    31.6 KB · Views: 9
  • AB318BB4-EFD1-4BDD-8A01-E9BBB195CDB3.jpeg
    AB318BB4-EFD1-4BDD-8A01-E9BBB195CDB3.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 10
  • E5DCF0BB-60CB-4FAC-AEFD-4D21E43CF61D.jpeg
    E5DCF0BB-60CB-4FAC-AEFD-4D21E43CF61D.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 10
It looks like sore hocks. Rex rabbits are prone to them. My own Rex rabbit has small ones on his feet. I would say, make sure to fully dry her feet before putting her on substrate or back in her cage. Make sure her cage and litter box (if she’s litter trained) is clean all the time so that it doesn’t get infected. That doesn’t mean change out the change every day. But remove any wet, or damp hay or substrate and replace it with new, every day. Also spot clean the cage every day.
It’s not very likely that she’ll have to be put down because of the sores but it will need to be treated, preferably by a vet. Don’t bath her too often every if it’s to get dirt or grime off. Get a damp rag and take it off very gently if you need to. I’d get a vet appointment as soon as possible, and have them treat it. They’ll go through how to apply what every ointment and wrap they give you. She‘ll likely be in pain when she’s on her back feet do jumping, due to the bald patches but once you get her treated by a vet, they should start to heal.

What is her flooring? Is she bonded with other rabbits or is it just her?
That is sore hocks, and just like Apollo's Slave said, Rexes are more likely to get them.

Taking the rabbit to the vet would be best, but if you can't get her to a vet here is how to treat sore hocks at home:
I would clean it with a warm damp washcloth and dry it. I would then put antibiotic ointment on it and apply this gel: https://www.chewy.com/vetericyn-plu...r9x3oA1GroYBQwYCaf5GUkjJBVQNvNk0aAhLWEALw_wcB. After that wrap it in gauze and then Vetwrap: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/vet-bandaging-tape-4-in-x-5-yd?solr=1&cm_vc=-10005&st=vet. Change bandages 2 times daily and don't let her chew the bandages. If she does chew them make a cone for her (see video). Remember to be super gentle.

Here is a thread on treating sore hocks that should be very helpful: https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...of-sore-hocks-please-help.96931/#post-1132595.

It looks like sore hocks. Rex rabbits are prone to them. My own Rex rabbit has small ones on his feet. I would say, make sure to fully dry her feet before putting her on substrate or back in her cage. Make sure her cage and litter box (if she’s litter trained) is clean all the time so that it doesn’t get infected. That doesn’t mean change out the change every day. But remove any wet, or damp hay or substrate and replace it with new, every day. Also spot clean the cage every day.
It’s not very likely that she’ll have to be put down because of the sores but it will need to be treated, preferably by a vet. Don’t bath her too often every if it’s to get dirt or grime off. Get a damp rag and take it off very gently if you need to. I’d get a vet appointment as soon as possible, and have them treat it. They’ll go through how to apply what every ointment and wrap they give you. She‘ll likely be in pain when she’s on her back feet do jumping, due to the bald patches but once you get her treated by a vet, they should start to heal.
Thank you so much. We didn’t want to have to put her down. She is such a sweet bunny. She just lets you hold her and is so very calm all the time.

What is her flooring? Is she bonded with other rabbits or is it just her?
That is sore hocks, and just like Apollo's Slave said, Rexes are more likely to get them.

Taking the rabbit to the vet would be best, but if you can't get her to a vet here is how to treat sore hocks at home:
I would clean it with a warm damp washcloth and dry it. I would then put antibiotic ointment on it and apply this gel: https://www.chewy.com/vetericyn-plu...r9x3oA1GroYBQwYCaf5GUkjJBVQNvNk0aAhLWEALw_wcB. After that wrap it in gauze and then Vetwrap: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/vet-bandaging-tape-4-in-x-5-yd?solr=1&cm_vc=-10005&st=vet. Change bandages 2 times daily and don't let her chew the bandages. If she does chew them make a cone for her (see video). Remember to be super gentle.

Here is a thread on treating sore hocks that should be very helpful: https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threa...of-sore-hocks-please-help.96931/#post-1132595.

She has 4 other playmates and she gets along well with all of them except 1, but the one is just an old grumpy rabbit that we’ve had so long that I think she is just set in her ways. But we keep her to herself. She can see the other rabbits, but she just can’t mingle.
Thank you so much for the information and the links. They will definitely come in handy. I feel confident that we can treat this now.

i would just rap it if you haven't already, it might not stay on for long but it will help while you figure out what to do. Mariam+Theo and Apollo’s Slave both have great ideas so I would recommend following both. they are both experienced and good rabbit owners.

Latest posts

Back