Bunny harnesses

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My wife read somewhere there are harnesses to allow you to take your bun for a walk. After getting to know Ash a bit more I feel this is a great idea with potentially hilarious results as Ash does what he wants and no amount of outside coaxing changes this. So does such a harness exist? We will start with walking around the house before we throw caution to the wind and take him out side the house.

As Watermelons explains, only the H-style harnesses are safe IF they are properly fitted.

Just know that not all rabbits will take to a harness. Even if fitted properly, using one comes with inherent risks. If the bunny is startled (a passing shadow from a hawk overhead can do this) it could cause a "bolt" reaction which, in turn, could cause serious injury to bunny's back or neck.

Another real possibility is that bunny will just hop to the first patch of grass and start grazing. "Walking" the rabbit may be more accurately described as "standing." You stand there while bunny grazes, then takes two hops, then grazes again. One never knows.

Another option, if you'd really like to walk, is to put bunny in a pet stroller.

21uxSOW75rL[1].jpg

Im not sure what my wife thinks it will be. Ash does what Ash wants and thats that. Watermelons, where would I find a harness like that? Petsmart and petco dont seem to carry them (or i have not look hard enough)

Last edited:
Im not sure what my wife thinks it will be. Ash does what Ash wants and thats that. Watermelons, where would I find a harness like that? Petsmart and petco dont seem to carry them (or i have not look hard enough)
Petsmart Cat or Kitten harness.
The small animal section is useless 😅

My guys in the photos are wearing the Grreat Choice brand ones. Which is petsmarts house brand for cats. Cant remember if I did cat or kitten sized ones.... but check the fit around the neck with 1 and go from there. Maybe start with the "cat" size if ash is more then 3-4lbs (I dont know how big ash is). Youll want them to sit like I showed in the photos. Not any looser. Proper fit will help ensure if the rabbit does spook the forces are distributed properly over the chest rather then on their neck.

Definitely go cat sized then. Big guy! :p My 3.5 lb dwarf mix fits in a kitten one, but my 5.5 lb mix of who knows what does not.

well Ash has a harness now it is a cat harness and he seems to be very indifferent towards it.
presented it to him he sniffed it and hopped off. tried putting it on him and he stood still long enough for it be placed on him before he went about playing. now when it gets pulled out he comes up, sits there waiting for it be put on him. I guess my drama king rabbit likes it because we showed the harness to the kids and ash came over and kept nudging us until we put it on him then off he went happy as could be.

Question.

Where I live I know for sure we have Wild Buns. I would LOVE to take AJ in the "yard" but with them roaming around at dusk, night, and dawn and unsure of exactly where they roam, I am wondering how safe it would be to let him explore outside on leash and in harness?

We also have squirrels and birds and the spot I am thinking of is in front of my flower now herb garden surrounded by big rocks. BUDDY my dog sometimes uses the bathroom in that area sometimes but not for #2. So would it be ok to let AJ out on leash and harness or play it safe and keep him in as a precaution because of the wild Buns.

Ravenmoore does that harness have a chest piece as well?
It doesnt appear too especially with it on the side like that.
Those harnesses are extremely dangerous and not secure. If something were to happen it could injure the rabbit. That one is also way too loose.
Please only use the H style harnesses that have a back AND chest strap.

Yes. It has a coller that goes around the neck and a similar thing around the main body. These are joined together along the spine and a chest piece broader one underneath. It was a little looser than normal as he had a dressing on his tummy from having a kidney abcess removed. All he did that day was sit on the bench chilling. Didnt feel like hopping about. Just wanted to enjoy the sun.

No no those ones are not safe. If you tug on the leash or the rabbit spooks all the pressure is put on their neck and abdomen. Those harnesses shouldnt be used for ANY animal.
They NEED a chest strap that connects the neck and belly strap. As well as the back strap.

Yes thats the proper one 😉

There is no reason at all to use that other style. Might as well just use a collar, and we know how dangerous those are on bunnies.
That chest strap that connects the belly and neck straps makes a world of differencw for where it will sit around the neck of a rabbit (or cat or dog or any animal). It helps allow pressure to be put on the chest and boney parts rather then the soft squishy abdomen or trachea.

I know the type of harness you all are talking about as a different name. But couldn't find it at Petco yesterday they are all into step in harnesses lately which I personally hate.

I tried finding an xxs dog harness but had to leave before I could find the size. I do have a guinea pig harness that fits AJ but it like the first harnesses shown just wider more flexible straps that connect with velcro

Latest posts

Back