Bunny getting destructive

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peneloppythebun

Reaction score
So my bunny wasn’t destructive before but I notice once she got use to me for the past week she starting getting destructive she chewed a small tiny itty bitty piece of my waterproof mat. I’m wondering if it’s because she is unspayed or if it’s normal for a rabbit to be destructive. I’m thinking maybe it’s because she’s getting use to me? I provided her with unlimited hay, chew toys like willow ball and ring and her baby stackable cups and tunnel but she doesn’t care for it at all.

It can be because of hormones that she act out more. It depends on if she got spring feelings or want to mate. But feeling safe will make her show her real personality and what she likes to do.

But you also need to accept that a behavior we might see as destructive it’s just a normal bunny behavior. You will just need to find a solution that will help her get the energy out.

It can be because of hormones that she act out more. It depends on if she got spring feelings or want to mate. But feeling safe will make her show her real personality and what she likes to do.

But you also need to accept that a behavior we might see as destructive it’s just a normal bunny behavior. You will just need to find a solution that will help her get the energy out.

yeah I think it is spring feelings, I have no idea why her previous owner never got her spayed she had her for nearly two years. I have to wait til may because the vet is booked til may. She is free roam and she gets a lot of room to play. And I notice she started to mark her territory with her poop. She left like three on my floor. I accept her behavior because I love her but she kind of took me by surprise a bit because she wasn’t destructive last week when I got her. Also your bun is so cute! What kind of bunny is she/he?

yeah I think it is spring feelings, I have no idea why her previous owner never got her spayed she had her for nearly two years. I have to wait til may because the vet is booked til may. She is free roam and she gets a lot of room to play. And I notice she started to mark her territory with her poop. She left like three on my floor. I accept her behavior because I love her but she kind of took me by surprise a bit because she wasn’t destructive last week when I got her. Also your bun is so cute! What kind of bunny is she/he?

I can perfectly understand the behavior. She might be feeling more at home now. So she’s more relax around you.

The one in my picture it’s my bunny Odin, he’s a netherland dwarf. I have a weak spot for netherland dwarf bunnies ever since I was a kid. The only reason why I bought from a breeder and it also was a bit impulsive. I was going to buy a kitten ended up with Odin instead. When I saw his baby pic, I just knew he was mine. So I never regretted getting him :)

I assume you have looked into bunny proofing? Any area that a rabbit will roam should be bunny-proofed to protect your belongings. Here's a link with a number of ideas. Of course, each home has its own unique things and arrangement so you'll have to customize to suit your situation.
I bunny proofed my room and everything it’s just her waterproof mat I have on my floor that’s it everything is moved out of the way. I bunny proofed my room before I got her. I even have my tv stand blocked off with A gate so she can’t get into it.

I can perfectly understand the behavior. She might be feeling more at home now. So she’s more relax around you.

The one in my picture it’s my bunny Odin, he’s a netherland dwarf. I have a weak spot for netherland dwarf bunnies ever since I was a kid. The only reason why I bought from a breeder and it also was a bit impulsive. I was going to buy a kitten ended up with Odin instead. When I saw his baby pic, I just knew he was mine. So I never regretted getting him :)
Oh my goodness so cute! I love how his eyes are so big! My weaknesses are both Netherland dwarf and Holland lips because the two breeds normally stay small. I got my bun from a girl going off to college she had her on Craigslist and I was like wait! Free bun? I know it’s best to adopt from a shelter because they are fix but once I saw the ad I had to have her I didn’t want her to go to someone else that may be irresponsible. Especially on Craigslist.

It’s normal for buns to be destructive. my buns favorite thing to destroy is my carpet and chargers. My rabbit is spayed but she still destructive. When she was younger she did destroy anything until she got older. Also my bun never cared to much about toys, but she does now she’s picky though ;D

When bunnies start or feeling more comfortable in their in environment what we see as destructive behavior is natural behavior for a bunny. It's natural behavior for bunnies to chew, dig, for forage for food and mark their territory. It doesn't matter if they're altered, it natural bunny behavior. I've seen the alter rabbits with the best litter box training still mark their territory.

Yes, there can always be a few territorial pellets after spaying. But saying that.....spaying is well worth it...due to the reduced high risk of reproductive cancers and being easier to litter train. Let alone....the reproductive factor. :)

There are bunnies that are altered and still poop all over the place. Then there are bunnies that aren't altered and don't poop all over the place. A rabbits a processes food different and they're diet is high in fiber. In the wild they'll be eating high fiber plants and poop while they eat. They're tummies processes the food different so that if they have to flee from danger so they don't have that extra weight in their stomach digesting.

The key to dealing with your rabbit pooping all over the place is trying to contain it.

. A rabbits a processes food different and they're diet is high in fiber. In the wild they'll be eating high fiber plants and poop while they eat. They're tummies processes the food different so that if they have to flee from danger so they don't have that extra weight in their stomach digesting.

Not exactly. They do have toilet spots, you can tell that there's a warren nearby when you find heaps of rabbit poop. That natural behaviour is what allows us to "litter train"our pets - we just take advantage of that.

There are individual differences, and some poops are used for marking territory, but that litter training works is because it is a natural behaviour to poop at the same spot - countrary to birds or a cow.

Makes sense, if there is a pile of poop somewhere in the landscape the warren can be anywhere, would they poop continously there would be a poop trail to the warren.

Not exactly. They do have toilet spots, you can tell that there's a warren nearby when you find heaps of rabbit poop. That natural behaviour is what allows us to "litter train"our pets - we just take advantage of that.

There are individual differences, and some poops are used for marking territory, but that litter training works is because it is a natural behaviour to poop at the same spot - countrary to birds or a cow.

Makes sense, if there is a pile of poop somewhere in the landscape the warren can be anywhere, would they poop continously there would be a poop trail to the warren.

Yes, were I live I see that around the warrens.

Another person mentioned having a smaller area for litter box training. I had mentioned a having a hay hanger over the litter box. There are some rabbits that have multiple areas where they do their business. They will unload a fresh mountain of turds not just a single turd. There are rabbit owners who do have more than one litter box for their rabbits with a hay inside of it or a hay holder above it because of that. And their bunnies have been altered for years and their bunnies are not suffering from any type of illness.

It’s normal for buns to be destructive. my buns favorite thing to destroy is my carpet and chargers. My rabbit is spayed but she still destructive. When she was younger she did destroy anything until she got older. Also my bun never cared to much about toys, but she does now she’s picky though ;D
Same here my bun will sometimes play with her toys but she mostly likes to run in her cat tunnel especially at 5 am to wake me up in the morning lol!

try a stick for her, she might just be picky chewer and might find a natural stick from outside more attractive. one of my rabbits will only chew on sticks from oak trees and she loves them, she won't even touch other sticks! So try those and give her a few tree options like maple, oak, and birch. let me know how it goes!

try a stick for her, she might just be picky chewer and might find a natural stick from outside more attractive. one of my rabbits will only chew on sticks from oak trees and she loves them, she won't even touch other sticks! So try those and give her a few tree options like maple, oak, and birch. let me know how it goes!
I’ll give that a try! Thanks!:) she kind of plays with her willow ball, but mostly she plays with her tunnel and a hidey house I made her and she likes to do zoomies and binkys!:) Also your bun bun is adorable!

Latest posts

Back