Bunny friendly apartments

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfonz

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was just curious ifanyone here lives in an apartment that accepts rabbits. I'mplanning on moving out, and I don't really wanna leave Bunbun at mymom's house cause I know he'll get lonely and I want to take him withme. Will apartments work with you, and do such placesexist? I'm in California and moving to San Francisco..I don'tknow if any of you are from the area...Any info will help. Meand Bunbun thank you!

kat.

I live in Australia, soI can't reallyhelp you. From my experience with renting apartments here though, Ihave found thatplaceswhich specifically state thatthere are to be no pets, will sometimesallow me tokeeprabbits.

I call them to ask if I may keep 'small caged animals', promise to payfor any damage caused by them and sometimes pay an extra monthly bondon top of my usual rent. Including a cute picture of my bunnies in myapplication has also helped. :)

I can only tell you what I've had good luck with in my area (Vancouver, Canada).

I found that basement suites are more likely to not mind bunnies (even on a "NO Pets" posting).

What I did was contact residences I was interested and asked if their pet clause included "caged animals" like rabbits.

My girl gets out and about when I'm home, but most people still believe that rabbits live in their cages 24/7...

So I found it wasn't as hard as finding a place with a rabbit as it would be with a dog or cat.

--Dawn

Hello! :)

I'm not from the San Francisco area, but here in several vastlydifferent areas of Southern California, I haven't had much troublefinding places that accept animals. There are some (maybehalf of the places out there) that ask for a security deposit, and somethat ask for additional rent, called "Pet Rent" (which is illegal tocharge here in CA, so be sure to steer clear of places like that).

To be perfectly honest, I never outright mentioned to our currentlandlord/manager that we have pets, as the company was asking$500/animal (no matter what the size), and I found that to be adownright almost criminal thing for them to ask for.BUT...they do know we have them (they've been in our apartment severaltimes), just have never asked for the money.

Don't get me wrong...I do NOT condone deceiving a landlord...ATALL. We were in a VERY desperate situation in needing tofind a place (had about two days left to find one with the notice we'dgiven our previous place), and the lady was VERY flexible in getting usin. She's completely aware of the pets, but hasn't ever askedfor the money. I think she realizes what a crock asking $2000for four animals is.

Not all the places we found asked for that much...usually it's morelike $50-100 initial pet deposit (which is legal to ask for) peranimal.

Anyway, that's my experience...at least with SouthernCalifornia. I have to be honest that I have NO IDEA what thesituation is like in the San Francisco area...though I can't imagine itmust be that different. I've had places here in the EastValley area, in the Long Beach area, and in Orange County...and neverhad much trouble finding a pet-friendly place. :)

Best wishes in finding your place!! How exciting! :D

Keep us updated on how things go, ok?

i will go against the grain on this one. i am inmichigan (a bit far from you) and am looking to move out of my parentshouse. my friend and i have been apartment searching 1 to 2 days a weekfor the last 4 weeks and have only found a handfull of apartments thatare in our price range (and that aren't total crap apartments) thatallow rabbits. some asking terrible amounts for deposites and such.

i don't get it because many will allow cats and small dogs, but fear a rabbit because the chew carpet and floorboards and such.

i am in the same position that you are, the apartments we have foundthat does let rabbits in aren't at the top of our list, the arenormally slightly more run down with stale smoke smells and alreadyterribly stained carpet. and they are tiny! i don't know were i wouldput the rabbits cage!

my parents and brother have said that if i live up here, i have to takethe rabbits with me, which i would want to do as when i am not homethey are only given food and water, not much out of cage time orgeneral human interaction.

it has been started to mention the idea of placing them in a new home,something i don't want to do. . . but will be forced to if i can't findan okay place.

i hope your search goes way better then mine has. . . i have 4 moreweeks to come up with something! my best advice is to look around atEVERYTHING (even if you fall in love with one place, keep looking atothers for a bit) and get stuff down in writing (the girl i am livingwith and i went to one complex and talked with 2 different people,getting 2 different sets of information and all about deposites, whatis included, pet policies, ect. and both sets of information turned outto be different then what they list on their information packet!!!!!talk about confusing!)

katie

Good question kfonz.

I currently live in an apartment with my bunny, but I do not know ifthey are allowed here or not. When I first moved in here, Idid not have a bunny. I got one after I lived here about twomonths. I know that cats are allowed here, so I figured itwasn't a big deal.

I am 98% sure I am only staying here one year. So once Julycomes, I will be out of here. For my next apartment though, Iam going to have to make sure they allow bunnies. I justassumed if a place allows cats, they would allow bunnies too.
I think I am wrong after reading other's posts!
:dunno:

One reason a manager of an apartment gave me towhy bunnies weren't accepted was because they reproduce like crazy andsoon they'd have bunnies running all over the place, so absolutely norabbits.

I wonder if she's ever heard of altered bunnies?

When I was renting, I was told absolutely nopets, period. I could not find a single place near campus that allowedpets (I think they assume all college kids arent capable of taking careof a pet).

I know this is terrible, and I dont condone it, but I just never toldthe landlord. They were required to give us notice before coming intothe apt, so I just always threw a blanket over Basils cage and turnedthe radio on. If they were ever going to be in to do any type ofremodeling etc, he would go stay with my parents.

The second place I lived in (also a rental) I kept Max and Basil's cagein my huge walk in closet. I would just close the door if anyone came.

Again, I know its terrible and dishonest, but some of these places arebeing ridiculous, and I absolutely cant live without my bunnies.

For the last two years, we lived in Florida andat nearly all the apartments we checked out, there was no issue withthe rabbits. At the place we ended up living, they didn'teven charge the outrageous pet deposit that was required for the dogand cat people. We moved back to Texas this week and arelooking for a new place to live and so far I haven't run into anyonewho's said no to bunnies. I always tell the apartmentcomplexes that the bunnies live in their cage unless they're beingclosely supervised, which is true, so there's never been anyissues. Of course, I think I've been dealing with people whohave no experience with rabbits (so they're unaware of just how quicklya baseboard/stair railing/electrical cord can be destroyed :))
Good luck finding a place!

we had both our rabbits in ourapartment.....neighbors had cats so we never really asked before we gotour rabbits. They did a service check with the firedepartment a couplke years later..saw them in thier cages and neversaid anything negative....actually asked me a few questions about whatthey are like.......

You might explain they can be litter trained / are litter trained justlike cats so they dont do tier bussiness anywhere. They areactually very clean, loving animals....somewhere between a cat anddog....loving like cats but more loyal like dogs.

Thanks for all of your information!It's been really helpful, and spirit lifting! I really don'twant to leave my rabbit at my mom's cause although she loves him, iknow she probably won't let him run around the place--he needs hisexercise! I'm still on the hunt, and I'll definitely let allof you know what comes of it. Ive thought about just notsaying anything to the landlord, but I don't want to get my friend introuble just in case anything does happen. But I'll just haveto see what happens.

Thanks again for all of your input...I'm a little more positive about the search now!

:hug1

kat.

ps: Haley, i know what it's like to be a college student with apet...all of the places near campus don't allow anything more than acat, if that. :(

Latest posts

Back