Bunny fell! Please answer ASAP!!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynne2809

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I am currently at college and my bunny (2 year old neutered male) is at home and my parents are taking care of him. He’s completely free roam in my bedroom and he enjoys jumping on and off my bed as it is not too high off the ground. Today I was watching the camera that I have in my bedroom and he jumped from the bed onto my nightstand. When he tried to jump back from the nightstand onto my bed, he lost his grip and fell onto the hardwood floor. He just sat there for a minute and then hopped away. My dad immediately went into my bedroom and remove the nightstand from the room so that he could not do that again. He has never tried anything like that in the two years that I have owned him. My dad said that he is eating normally, standing up on his back legs, and jumping on and off the bed like he usually does. He said that he looks completely fine. I also called his vet and she recommend that I continue to monitor him because it does not seem that he hurt himself, so he does not need to go to the vet. She said they he likely did not bruise or fracture anything since he is acting 100% normal. I am a helicopter mom already, so I am absolutely freaking out about this. Has anybody had anything like this happen? I am so scared that he broke something and I will have to put him down so I am just looking for somebody that had a similar experience or can offer some reassurance.

It seems that your rabbit is totally fine if he's still bouncing around as if nothing happened.

My guess is that the initial minute of being frozen was his poor brain trying to process what had happened. As your vet ruled out anything life-threathening, i'd just keep an eye on him for a few additional days and if he continues being himself, he's in the clear.

All my boys had been adamant on digging at my bed and the lops had ungracefully fallen off it an uncanny amount of times. Since i couldn't stop them, added a crate as a step and all is good.

I wrote an answer but my internet failed so here's another version of it.

Seeing as your bun is still being himself, i'm sure that he'll be fine and in the clear a few days later. It is highly unlikely that he broke something, else he would be showing signs of pain.
Rest assured, no need to send him to the other world just for having one not-so-accurate landing.
My boys dug at my bed non-stop and would often dig themselves off it, back first. I put a crate step for Storm and now all is good-he won't fall off.

I think that they will be okay. Especially if they are still acting their usual self.

how is your bunny acting today?

I think that they will be okay. Especially if they are still acting their usual self.

how is your bunny acting today?
Thank you for asking! He is totally fine today and he actually jumped off of the bed onto the hardwood floor this morning- silly boy. I am going to Lowe’s tomorrow to get memory foam mats to lay down because it appears that the fleece blankets just aren’t enough padding for him so he slips and slides all over🥲 I also called his vet and she said that buns are usually very resilient and he should be completely fine. She said that he wouldn’t be jumping on and off of the bed unless he was comfortable doing it. I’m just going to put down the memory foam mats for some extra cushion when he lands!! He is a very spoiled and very loved little bun :)

Hey guys. I’m a little worried today, but for an unrelated reason. I got home from college today for the weekend and I noticed that Mickey was making a very soft but strange clicking/popping sound. I can’t tell if it’s coming from his chest or belly. He has not even the slightest bit of eye or nasal discharge and he is eating and drinking 100% normally. Side note: I am absolutely paranoid about pneumonia. I noticed that he was breathing strange a few months ago and rushed him to the vet sobbing because I thought he had pneumonia and he was 100% fine and healthy. Do you think this is pneumonia? Could it just be belly noises? I can only hear it if I put my ear close to him

This clicking/popping sound is freaking me out and I have convinced myself that it must be pneumonia. He is acting totally normal otherwise and just ate a ton of treats and ran around
If you can afford it, it would be a great idea to take your rabbit to a vet so you can put your mind at ease. If your rabbit is acting a little different around you, he might be picking up on your anxiety. I had a rabbit that jumped off the back of a sofa and ruined his kneecap to the point where he needed surgery. A doctor can determine if your rabbit needs an x-ray, or has a respiratory problem. A proper diagnosis from a vet might be needed.

If you can afford it, it would be a great idea to take your rabbit to a vet so you can put your mind at ease. If your rabbit is acting a little different around you, he might be picking up on your anxiety. I had a rabbit that jumped off the back of a sofa and ruined his kneecap to the point where he needed surgery. A doctor can determine if your rabbit needs an x-ray, or has a respiratory problem. A proper diagnosis from a vet might be needed.
Thank you. I’m wondering if it would be okay to wait and see how he is doing tomorrow since he is eating, drinking, and acting totally normal.

Thank you. I’m wondering if it would be okay to wait and see how he is doing tomorrow since he is eating, drinking, and acting totally normal.
I think you should call the vet and make an appointment. The office will want to know if this is an emergency. You can tell them what happened and let them decide if it is an emergency. Most likely it will take a couple of days to get in. By the time you get to see the vet, you can call the office and cancel your appointment if you are sure at that time that nothing is wrong with your rabbit. Just knowing that he can get in to see a vet in a couple of days should help ease your mind.

I think you should call the vet and make an appointment. The office will want to know if this is an emergency. You can tell them what happened and let them decide if it is an emergency. Most likely it will take a couple of days to get in. By the time you get to see the vet, you can call the office and cancel your appointment if you are sure at that time that nothing is wrong with your rabbit. Just knowing that he can get in to see a vet in a couple of days should help ease your mind.
I just spoke to his vet and she said that it could very well just be loud gut sounds. She said that since he has no nasal or eye discharge, it is highly unlikely to be pneumonia. She also said that it is likely not related to his fall because it’s been 2 days now. She recommended that I monitor but she was not concerned, which makes me feel better.

I just spoke to his vet and she said that it could very well just be loud gut sounds. She said that since he has no nasal or eye discharge, it is highly unlikely to be pneumonia. She also said that it is likely not related to his fall because it’s been 2 days now. She recommended that I monitor but she was not concerned, which makes me feel better.
Good! There are times when we just need to hear from a vet.

Honey! I know how you feel. I was scared Erlong may have a seizure problem. Turns out, it really was REM sleep. .-. So don't feel bad because you're scared about the health and wellbeing of your baby.
Ugh thank you! I really think I’m probably just overthinking it, I’m sure he’s fine!!

Latest posts

Back