Bunny falling over

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HollandLopEllie

Reaction score
Help! We have a 10 week old Bunny, we have had her for 1 week! She’s been great! Pooping and eating just fine! Today when we let her roam, she toppled over and then scrambled to get up. I didn’t think anything of it, but just now she did it again like 4 times within 10 minutes. She never did this before. Everything else seems fine. She is just hopping along then fals over like looses balance or something. WHAT IS THIS?

Are her feet okay? Did you cut her nails recently? Also it could be that the flooring doesn't have enough traction and friction, what floor do you use?

I see you also posted on an old thread on this same topic.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/bunny-falling-over.83724/
The advice from Jenny, our health moderator, is always good. Just re-read her posts of what the possible causes are. A vet visit would be in order.
Yes there is no reason for her feet not to be ok, I mean she’s crates and roams around only under our supervision. It’s happening on carpet and hardwood. I noticed now that when she shakes her head it gets her dizzy too. I’m wondering if it’s an ear infection. I will go to the vet but want to know what others experience was with this as I know bunnies are so fragile I got so scared

Yes there is no reason for her feet not to be ok, I mean she’s crates and roams around only under our supervision. It’s happening on carpet and hardwood. I noticed now that when she shakes her head it gets her dizzy too. I’m wondering if it’s an ear infection. I will go to the vet but want to know what others experience was with this as I know bunnies are so fragile I got so scared

An ear infection is probable. Jenny's responses are typically thorough and comprehensive as to probable causes of a particular symptom. As Jenny explained in that post... (I took out the comments regarding the other poster's vet and rabbit)

Did your vet check your bun for e. cuniculi or an ear infection? These would be the most common causes of loss of balance, besides something like dehydration or heat stress. Checking for EC and an ear infection would involve a blood titer for the EC and a visual exam of the ears. The xray of the head may also show if there is an inner ear infection.

When a definite cause isn't determined for a balance issue, usually the common causes are covered, which would be EC and ear infection. So that would involve the meds metacam, panacur, and an abx cover like baytril or septrin.
Medirabbit
http://www.gwexotics.com/wccms-resources/a/5/0/e/77554b90-a660-11e0-a685-0050568626ea.pdf

Good luck and let us know what the vet determines.

Latest posts

Back