Bunny Eye Squinted

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lily&Lola

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Today I got home and saw that my almost 1-year-old Mini Rex Bunny's one eye was squinted/shut. She only opens it up for a few seconds and scratches at it occasionally. I want to take her to the vet but they seem to all be closed until Tuesday due to the holiday. Are there any suggestions on what I can do from home to help her? Do I need to go to the vet? Here are some pictures of her eye.

Attachments

• IMG-4597.jpg
    IMG-4597.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-4596.jpg
    IMG-4596.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-4594.jpg
    IMG-4594.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-4592.jpg
    IMG-4592.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-4590.jpg
    IMG-4590.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG-4598.jpg
    IMG-4598.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 2
She could have some debris stuck in her eye. When this happens, I will flush the eye out with plain ophthalmic saline eye drops(eg. natural tears).

I would do that several times a day. If the eye still seems irritated by Tuesday, I would phone an experienced rabbit vet. If the eye significantly worsens and/or your rabbit stops eating, I would try and find an emergency vet that treats rabbits. A rabbit shouldn't go more than 12-24 hours without eating.

https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

As the above poster said, I would tend to think something is stuck in her eye and/or she scratched her cornea, which is why she is keeping her eye closed as light would bother it. Both above would explain the scratching as well as her natural reaction would be to wipe at it if something were stuck or if it was a cornea scratch the pain would cause her to wipe at it. I would lean toward cornea scratch do to her eye being kept closed and not trying to blink out whatever could be in there. You should take her to a vet when you can, most will be closed like you said, but some might be open for "holiday hours" or you can try an emergency vet hospital near you as they would understand why you went to them with everyone else closed. Hope it's just something stuck in her eye and it works its way out though. :) Cute buns :)

Latest posts

Back