Bunny emergency kit+DIY critical care

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

odyssey~

Reaction score
Hi!

What should I keep in a bunny emergency kit?
Is critical care, gas drops, pedialyte and syringes enough?

Also, is there a way to DIY critical care? Like grinding up pellets and mixing with pedialyte powder?
Critical care is really hard to find+ expensive where I live so I don't know if my parents will let me get it.

Thanks!

That first aid kit should be fine IMO. I’d probably also get unmediated saline solution. Anything else (and even critical care in a lot of cases), should probably be done by a vet unless your super experienced.

DIY critical care, I made a thread on it. I’m using ground 100% only hay pellets.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/critical-care-supplement.102352/

Last edited:
Pellets can be used in a pinch, soaked in warm water to make a mush. But like Apollo's Slave mentioned about critical care, most of the time it's only used after seeing a vet, and bloat or a complete blockage is ruled out. Otherwise you risk causing serious complications.

That first aid kit should be fine IMO. I’d probably also get unmediated saline solution. Anything else (and even critical care in a lot of cases), should probably be done by a vet unless your super experienced.

DIY critical care, I made a thread on it. I’m using ground 100% only hay pellets.
https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/critical-care-supplement.102352/
Okay thank you!
What's the saline solution for?
Pellets can be used in a pinch, soaked in warm water to make a mush. But like Apollo's Slave mentioned about critical care, most of the time it's only used after seeing a vet, and bloat or a complete blockage is ruled out. Otherwise you risk causing serious complications.
Okay thank you!

I think the most important item in any DIY emergency kit is a plan of how to get your rabbit care 24/7. I'm lucky to have a great, very rabbit-savvy rescue right down the street, that is always only a text message away. I think kits only need more than the basics (what you've got) if there are not care options for some reason or another.

Just IMHO

Latest posts

Back