Bunny Eating Wood Pellets

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siennade

Reaction score
This morning I changed out and cleaned my bun's litterbox and put in a new layer of pellets, I caught my bun eating wood pellets from his litter box. I tried to get it out of his mouth but he was NOT having it. His bowl was full of oxbow pellets and his hay was topped up, I don't know how long he's been doing that, mostly I figure he's looking for some food he dropped. I just switched to CUBETTO natural wood pellets, and they smell like heaven (Finally). I read online that if he ingests some here and there he should be okay. Is that true? Does anyone else's rabbit do this? ...I took away his litter box and put the old one down but with this new one, he is completely litter box trained and doesn't have accidents anymore...Please help, and thnk you in advance.

Hi, how old is your rabbit and how long you use wood pellets? If they are pine pellets even if he eats some it shouldn't do any harm. Rabbits can chew on wood it's normal. Maybe it's just new to him and he wanted to try, or like you said maybe he just dropped his food pellets and was actually munching on them, not on wood pellets. He should stop eating them he's not stupid. If you worry about it or if those pellets are not safe to eat for a rabbit you can cover your litter with a grid so he won't have access to them

Hi, how old is your rabbit and how long you use wood pellets? If they are pine pellets even if he eats some it shouldn't do any harm. Rabbits can chew on wood it's normal. Maybe it's just new to him and he wanted to try, or like you said maybe he just dropped his food pellets and was actually munching on them, not on wood pellets. He should stop eating them he's not stupid. If you worry about it or if those pellets are not safe to eat for a rabbit you can cover your litter with a grid so he won't have access to them
Hi Zuppa,

Thank you so much for your reply, Yesterday I saw him eating the wood pellets - like they’ve fallen out of his mouth and he’s tried to put them back in. They are Cubetto wood pellets, it’s specifically made for rabbits so I don’t think they are toxic. It says they are 100% natural wood. He is almost three months old (approximately) he was a rescue so we’re not completely sure. I will try to get access to a grate for sure, I haven’t been able to find one and might have to get creative haha

Latest posts

Back