Bunny 'drooling', eye and nasal discharge

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jelovceva

Reaction score
Hey!

A couple of days ago I've noticed my bunny was wet under her chin. She also had one teary eye for a while, but that is something that happened before as well, multiple times, so i didnt think much of it.
The drooling continued, I've called my vet about this, she told me to apply Chloramphenicol to her eye, and asked if her teeth seemed overgrown. They looked normal to me. She said it's nothing dangerous and that i should keep applying Chloramphenicol, and call in again in 5 days to see if the tearyness stops.

Todays, it appears as if she has more saliva, i dont know the name for this, but its like shes constantly "licking" with the amount of fluid in her motuth, and due to the dampness, there is less hair under her chin. I've also noticed fur under her nose being a little bit wet, with the same pale yellow color, as the fur around her mouth is. After applying the eye drops, it seems like the eye has improved a bit, but its still too early to tell.

She doesnt seem to be in pain, jumps around normally, eats hard food well, poops, but maybe drinks a bit less water.

Is this something serious? Do i need to take her to the ver urgently? She had quite a bit of vet visits last week, and i dont want to put her through too much stress if not needed.

Thank you very much!

Your bunny can have overgrown molars, which you can’t see. It would explain the eye and the drooling. Because overgrown molar can press up which would cause the eyes to start tearing up.

You should take her to a vet and check her dentals.

Hope everything go well with your girl.

Dental issues can cause drooling. It may not be from overgrown incisors. There are other dental issues that aren't obvious from a visual inspection. Spurs on the molars may not easily be seen if you don't know what (or how) to look at those teeth.

As for eating, if she is having trouble with certain teeth, it can affect how (or if) she eats certain foods. Different teeth are used for chewing hay than for chewing pellets. So her eating hard foods doesn't mean she isn't having trouble with other foods.

This may offer some help:
https://www.rabbitcaretips.com/excessive-drooling-in-rabbits/

Head xrays may also be needed as it's possible there is an infected tooth or abscess. Unfortunately your vet doesn't sound very experienced with rabbits. I would suggest trying to find a more experienced rabbit vet if at all possible.
Medirabbit (dental issues in rabbits)

Thank you all for quick replies!
My bunny and i live in a small town, and unfortunately there arent any exotic pet vets i could take her to. Here is another thing i failed to point out:
4 days ago we went to another city to another vet, regarding leg problems, and 5 days ago she was at another vet, here in our town for leg xray. Is it possible she caught something along the way, due to travelling and being around other cats and dogs? She didnt have the drooling problem before those visits.

I will pay close attention to what she eats, but she is eating both soft and hard foods atm. I'm not sure how to check her molars, she barely lets me look at her front teeth haha. I will try etiher way! :D

Thank you all for quick replies!
My bunny and i live in a small town, and unfortunately there arent any exotic pet vets i could take her to. Here is another thing i failed to point out:
4 days ago we went to another city to another vet, regarding leg problems, and 5 days ago she was at another vet, here in our town for leg xray. Is it possible she caught something along the way, due to travelling and being around other cats and dogs? She didnt have the drooling problem before those visits.

I will pay close attention to what she eats, but she is eating both soft and hard foods atm. I'm not sure how to check her molars, she barely lets me look at her front teeth haha. I will try etiher way! :D
Don't try to look at the molars. You can't. Even for experienced rabbit vets with special equipment it's not straightforward. No, the drooling is not from the trip. As others have said, the most likely cause is dental pain. I hope you can get her to a rabbit vet soon.

Latest posts

Back