Bunny drinking 400-500 ml of water a day, is it excessive?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiesncream

Reaction score
My bun weigh 950 gram, 4 months old Jr. Buck Holland lop
He eats hay and pellets well, playful and overall looks healthy

It's just that he drinks so much, he seems to pee often too since I need to clean his litter each day from being too wet. Is it normal for such a little guy to drink 400 - 500 ml a day?

I noticed other of my buns drink around 200-250 ml a day, and they're 2 months older

They drink from a bottle by the way, should I be concerned?

It is 4 times more than normal. Usually rabbits will drink about 50-150ml per kg per day, also depending on what their diet is. Hormonal bucks will sometimes drink a little bit more than normal because of increased urination due to spraying.

If he's eating the same food as your other rabbits and they're all drinking normal amounts, then he could possibly have a health issue. If he has a wet bum it could be a UTI. If he's drooling, not gaining weight, or having eating issues, it could be a dental problem. Kidney issues can also cause increased thirst/urination. In a young rabbit, this would most likely be due to the parasite e. cuniculi affecting the kidneys.

If all of your rabbits seem to be drinking/urinating more than would seem normal, it could be a feed issue. Or if your rabbit has a salt lick and is using it excessively, that could cause increased thirst/urination. Excess sodium in the pellets or from a salt lick could cause increased thirst, when there are no other obvious health issues showing like weight loss or lack of appetite.

https://www.stortvet.com/excessive-drinking-and-urination-2/

If you are using a bottle, the bottle could be dripping, making the water level go down without the rabbit actually drinking all of that. I'd check the bottle nozzle.

Bowls that twist on to a clamp are a better option for those rabbits that get frustrated trying to get enough water out of the bottle.

If you are using a bottle, the bottle could be dripping, making the water level go down without the rabbit actually drinking all of that. I'd check the bottle nozzle.

Bowls that twist on to a clamp are a better option for those rabbits that get frustrated trying to get enough water out of the bottle.

It doesn't seem be to the case tho, the bottle's not dripping any

Latest posts

Back