Bunny Dominance

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokey&ash

Reaction score
Hello everyone! About a week ago my bunnies that I thought were bonded got into a fight. I’m thinking it’s because they have really determined who’s going to be dominant. I know when bunnies are bonded there’s supposed to be lots of grooming. However when they were together I only seen them groom each other a few times. Also in the bunny bonding process they never mounted each other. I wanted to know if anyone had any tips? Thank you.

Can you describe the space they live in now? A photo would be even better. Do they free roam? How large of a space? Do they have a cage? Did you use a separate space to bond them? If so, how long were they in that separate space?

Can you describe the space they live in now? A photo would be even better. Do they free roam? How large of a space? Do they have a cage? Did you use a separate space to bond them? If so, how long were they in that separate space?
Yes! They are free roam, since the fight I’ve had them separated from the living room & dining room. Ash is in the living room and Smokey in then dining room. There’s a barrier in between the living room and dining room. I live in a small apartment. I bonded them in the dining room and my bedroom. They had a difficult bond, it took like 5 months for them to form a bond. It’s been 2 months they’ve been roaming together all over the apartment laying side by side all the time. Until the fight about a week ago.

I see. Once a pair of rabbits has completed their bonding process and moved into their new permanent cage (even free roam should have cage) they should then remain together in the cage for several days. Next step is to allow them out to roam in only a limited area (an ex-pen can limit the space). The area should be only gradually expanded over many days or weeks.

If they are given too much space too soon, it can lead to territorial fighting or a setback in their bond. This is possibly what occurred given their difficult bond to begin with.

That's one possibility anyway. Another is if one of them is feeling under the weather. If one isn't feeling good it can cause fighting as well.

Other than that, has there been any other new additions to the apartment? New smells could sometimes trigger some territorial type behavior as well.

Latest posts

Back