Bunny-dog relationships

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kokkiniklosti

Reaction score
Hey people! It's been a while since i last got in, but there is something wrong with my internet connection! So, now that i can i have a question! Firt of all i am planning on adopting a dog around Christmas! I know that bonding dogs and bunnies is not impossible, but

1. How to prepare the bunnies for the incoming of a dog? (They freak out even by the stray's scent that i feed)

2. How to choose the right dog? I have already notified the dog rescue to find for me their most calm and easygoing dogs)!

3. How to introduce them?

4. What can be the baseline of the bonding process?

Also, my two boys are neutered, but not bonded with each other! I am working on this, but Odisseas would probably prefer to be a loner!

i know there are some breeds of dogs that will just not work with rabbits. for instance greyhounds, because they are bred specifically to chase rabbits (for racing, etc), and just cannot get over that genetic compulsion. but i've seen pics of even big dogs getting along with rabbits. i don't have any experience with it though.

You should avoid terriers and hounds (sight and scent) and possibably some sporting breeds. These breeds are breed to hunt small game such as rabbits. Toy breeds could work, maybe non-sporting. Look up dogs that are easy going and don't have a hunting drive. Retrivers might be good.

Maybe get a towel with a dogs scent, that dog you a getting would be ideal, and give it to the buns. Let them ge tused to the scent before you bring the dog home if possible. Keep the dog in a different room if you can for the first few days, then bring it into the bunnies room on a leash for some supervised interaction with buns in cage.

Bonding might not happen. Them ignoring each other is good. My dogs and bunnies don't cuddle and groom, they respect each others space and basically ignore each other for the most part.

I do not mind if they don't bond, i just want to be sure that, although their contacts will take place only inder my supervision, the dog will not attack the rabbits as soon as i turn my eyes away! Oh, and i am going to adopt some mix breed dog, ex-stray (you won't believe how many strays there are in Greece), so i don't think that i would be able to predict the dog's reaction towards the rabbits, according to breed! Is it possible that a dog that gets along well with cats, may get along with rabbits too?

I, personally, don't have much experience with this, but I would definately keep the dog on a leash, or restrained, in the first few encounters. Just to make sure that the dog just doesn't go "Oh, RABBIT!" and try to attack him.

If you don't want them to bond, just to teach your dog to ignore your bunny, maybe try leading your dog (on a leash), next to your rabbit, and teaching him not to look at him or notice. And maybe teaching your dog a very firm command such as "OFF" for, just in case, if the dog attempts to attack the rabbit, so you can get your dog to drop them quickly.

Good luck!
Rachel.

I have a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier and she is great with the rabbits. I also have a Papillion and she, on the other hand, is not. I never leave my dogs alone with the rabbits. However, my dogs aren't bothered with them. They could care less unless the rabbits are out free. The papillion is not allowed near them and the wheaten terrier is watched as she likes to paw them to get them to hop. Funny thing is the rabbits could care less about them. Actually, when the wheaten goes under their cages (she likes to eat their poop) I think they purposely try to peeon her head!

I would introduce the bunny to the dog SLOWLY. I would also do this while the rabbit is in their cage as they feel safe. Let the dog sniff around and if the rabbit seems stressed in any way, remove the dog from the room, and give the bunny a treat.

It also depends on the rabbit. I know of some rabbits that as soon as they smell a dog, they flip out. Some of mine thump and get all mad when the neighbors dog (a Belgian Sheepdog) comes over to play with my dogs. I just tell them it is o.k. They soon learn that the dogs don't care about them. (your rabbit may not be like mine though).

Just take it slow and give lots of treats, to both animals.

Sharon

I've had animals my entire life, and have worked with pounds, rescues and humane societies for almost 15 years now.

My home is shared by 3 cats, 5 rabbits and as of now two dogs.

Recently I stopped fostering cats due to my own allergy problems (after a while, enough is enough - and I have a friend who opted to foster cats exclusively) but I still have high volume dog and puppy traffic here.

So you know if you'll decide on an adult, senior or puppy? Will it come from the streets, a pound or rescue that fosters animals?

Those are some important thoughts to start with, all with positives any way you choose.

A good website for you to look into as well is this: http://wonderpuppy.net/canwehelp/cwhindex.htm

You'll need to find a dog that fits your lifestyle first and foremost, and from there work through the process of an age and mix (or breed) that will be suitable for your other animals comfort.

You may want to look into breed selectors:

[ame=http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dog+breed+selector+test]http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dog+breed+selector+test[/ame]

to get an idea of what may or may not be for you.

No decision is ever absolutely foolproof butadvanced planning and organizing will help and work with youor new family member can greatly help work out existing or issues that come up.

Of course, good housing for the bunny, close observation and preventative measures (as simple asbaby gates) can go a long way as well.

Wow, thanks Leaf! I really appreciate all the tips and those are a couple of good links! Well, the dog i am probably going to adopt is about 5 months old now, and she is going to be of a medium size! She was found along with her siblings when they where about 2 months old in the fields, near a highway, after their mother was run over by a car! Since then she is fostered in a friends house along with her dog and 6 cats! She gets along with everybody and she is rather submissive!

But i have a guestion: One of the bunnies, Odisseas, has claimed as his own not only his cage, but the floor around it as well! As a result when someone else but me approaches his cage while he is in he growls and boxes! Would it be better if this easy dog and the bunnies met in neutral territory for the first time(dog leashed ofcourse)?

Well, being from Greece, you have more than ample choice in picking dogs. LOL.

I won't really give any advice as I have no experience but I wanted to say good luck and I hope you will post pics ;)

Awww she's pretty :biggrin2:Yeah I spent 2 months in Athens and got to see it for myself. Lol. My fiance is from there. Sure are plenty of dogs there!

My dog gets along well with bunnies, but she is a very calm and tolerant dog. Ruby just met her for the first time last night and all was fine. Floppy was not as brave of her when he first met the dog, but now he walks all over her. Literally. lol.

KIF_1197.jpg

Korr_and_Sophie wrote:
Look up dogs that are easy going and don't have a hunting drive. Retrivers might be good.

Retrievers were bred to hunt, or ratherm to retrieve for hunters. Laboradors, Goldens, Chesapeakes, etc, all have a huge hunting drive. I have not trusted a single Lab around my rabbits with the exception of an old, arthritic one who was too lazy to chase them.

I think it depends on the individual dogs personality. Many people wouldn't trust a pit bull around rabbits and my girl is fine. You can use breed standards to get a general idea of what type of dog to look for but in the end it depends on the individual.

Becknutt wrote:
My dog gets along well with bunnies, but she is a very calm and tolerant dog. Ruby just met her for the first time last night and all was fine. Floppy was not as brave of her when he first met the dog, but now he walks all over her. Literally. lol.

KIF_1197.jpg
Awwww! That's too cute! I hope my rabbits and the dog get along so well like that! But, another guestion: Is it true that a dog that gets along with cats and doesn't see them as food, will probably get along also with rabbits?

My rabbit loved my frog but that's as far as my interspecies relationship experience is. :p

Ryan and I really want to a adopt a pit bull or a pit bull mix when we move out (definitely not right away). Our friend Garret recently adopted a pitty mix that came into the shelter as a stray. He is the sweetest dog I have ever met.

Of course, though, we will be selective when adopting a pit or a pit mix. We would have to find the perfect one that fits with us.

Who knows, maybe some other type of dog will pick US though when it comes time to adopt (which won't be anytime soon!) :p.

I believe a dog that gets along with cats, will be more likely to get along with other animals. Roxy gets along with all of our animals. She was raised with cats from 6wks old and Fluffy tought her who was boss back then.

In the begining she was very interested in the rabbits and would sniff the heck out of them when they were out, I watched closely to make sure she didn't accidently trample them or do anything more than sniff. They paid her back by sniffing her, and now they are all fine with each other. She will actually lay there and let the bunnies hop on/over her.

Evaluate the dog you potentially want to adopt, and test them around other animals and children. Make sure the dogs personality is what your looking for. I wouldn't recommend letting a big dog out loose around your bunnies right away. Roxy is a special circumstance because I know she won't hurt them.

i believe that it all depends on the individual dog and rabbit..

yes breed can have alot to do with it, but breed is not everything... peapoo and petey got along great with all of my dogs..i have 5 dogs and they all got along great with the rabbitsdespite theirbreeds.. i have 1 pit bull, 1 basset hound (bred for hunting rabbits), 2 english shepherds (herding dogs), and 1 gordon setter (hunting dog).
bunny071.jpg

Picture2.png

Latest posts

Back