Bunny doesn’t always lift tail to pee

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babybunnyvi

Reaction score
Hi so I’m getting a bit frustrated with my little bun and her vet. I took her to the vet because her bottom gets wet right before she goes to bed and I know it’s bad to have wet bottom. The vet didn’t seem to think anything was wrong with her except that I didn’t clean her litter enough. I clean her litter daily and her bottom is still wet. What’s weird is that she stays dry throughout the day when she pees, and then gets wet at night! So I know she can lift her bottom and her tail because she does is some of the time but not all the time. I’ve been giving her cornstarch baths but I want to get to the root of the problem so she is healthy. She is free roam and the vet didn’t say she was overweight. She did have a back injury a couple months ago but she doesn’t have any trouble moving around or eating her cecotropes which is why I think she has a behavioral issue since it’s so routine when she gets wet. Vet was not helpful at all and am wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience?

How old is she? Is she spayed?

I'd suggest trying a different litter setup. It isn't that Carefresh is bad, but it does tend to get wet and stay wet. Plus you are changing it every day which can't be fun.

Many of us here on RO use wood pellets (different than wood shavings) and top it with hay. This setup has the advantage of keeping bunny off of wet litter. The urine seeps down through the hay to the pellets below. The pellets absorb the urine (and its odor). So even if she doesn't lift her tail, the hay will keep her off of the wet litter. The only maintenance is adding fresh hay on top every day. But the litter box itself should last a full week with one rabbit (provided the litter box is large enough as in photo below).updated litter box set up cropped lo res.jpg

How old is she? Is she spayed?

I'd suggest trying a different litter setup. It isn't that Carefresh is bad, but it does tend to get wet and stay wet. Plus you are changing it every day which can't be fun.

Many of us here on RO use wood pellets (different than wood shavings) and top it with hay. This setup has the advantage of keeping bunny off of wet litter. The urine seeps down through the hay to the pellets below. The pellets absorb the urine (and its odor). So even if she doesn't lift her tail, the hay will keep her off of the wet litter. The only maintenance is adding fresh hay on top every day. But the litter box itself should last a full week with one rabbit (provided the litter box is large enough as in photo below).View attachment 52249
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! I hadn’t heard of this before thank you :)

Latest posts

Back