Bunny died today :(

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jessamine

Reaction score
I’m so heartbroken, I can hardly write this, but it feels better than doing nothing at all.

Last night, I picked up our bunny and immediately knew something was off. He was lethargic, and not acting like his usual self. My husband and I googled things, and it seemed like it was only a critics emergency if he hadn’t eaten anything in 12 hours, and we got him to have some kale last night. His pellets were much smaller than usual, but he had some, so it seemed safe to conclude that he would be okay to wait until I brought him to the vet in the morning.

I wish I had taken him last night. I didn’t know things would take a turn this quickly. This morning he was even more lethargic, not interested in food, with wetness around his nose and mouth. I got the kids off to school and immediately went for the vet appointment, but when I went to get him, he was on his side and very limp. He died in my arms on the car ride. :( I can’t help thinking I could have done something. I’m so, so sad. I didn’t know where else to share.

I’m so heartbroken, I can hardly write this, but it feels better than doing nothing at all.

Last night, I picked up our bunny and immediately knew something was off. He was lethargic, and not acting like his usual self. My husband and I googled things, and it seemed like it was only a critics emergency if he hadn’t eaten anything in 12 hours, and we got him to have some kale last night. His pellets were much smaller than usual, but he had some, so it seemed safe to conclude that he would be okay to wait until I brought him to the vet in the morning.

I wish I had taken him last night. I didn’t know things would take a turn this quickly. This morning he was even more lethargic, not interested in food, with wetness around his nose and mouth. I got the kids off to school and immediately went for the vet appointment, but when I went to get him, he was on his side and very limp. He died in my arms on the car ride. :( I can’t help thinking I could have done something. I’m so, so sad. I didn’t know where else to share.
Oh no. I’m so sorry! We are human and we all make mistakes. I’m sure your bunny knew you loved him and you would do anything you could for him.
Hopefully you can find some support here on this forum.

Oh no. I’m so sorry! We are human and we all make mistakes. I’m sure your bunny knew you loved him and you would do anything you could for him.
Hopefully you can find some support here on this forum.

I sure hope so. Even just getting these few messages is helpful.

Even if you took him to the vet last night there is a chance he still wouldn't of made it. You loved him I am sure you gave him a wonderful life. So try to rest easy knowing that. I am sorry for your loss.

It sounds like he was progress very fast, and I agree that he may not have even made it in that case if you brought him sooner.

My rabbit is trying to get over a bout of GI stasis, and let me tell you, it’s 100% understandable this happened. Rabbits are so very hard to tell as to what they need, or how they are feeling. Don’t be so hard on yourself. I also agree that your bunny knew he loved you, so don’t worry. [emoji3590]

Thank you all so much for the kind messages! It really does help, especially with the guilt. He was extremely loved by everyone in the house - he was such a cool, loving little guy, and we would never have known how great bunnies were if not for him. You’ve all made this day a little better, thank you.

Aww that's so sad, he sounds like he had a long and happy life. I'm sure that he was an amazing rabbit. Rest In Peace :(

Sorry for your loss. I'm sure it was such a shock. We lost Annabelle on October 7, this year. Think about all the happy times you had with him. I also agree, that your bunny knew he loved you and you loved him, so don’t worry.

So sorry to hear this. I had similar experience with my holland lop 2 christmas ago. Carrot was her name, I feel she tried to tell me something was wrong few weeks before she got sic,. I didn't recognize the sign. She was barely breathing making a wheezing noise. Had to wait til Sunday morning around 9am when they opened to get her in to vet. She had pneumonia and died in the inubator. I knew she probably would not make it, but tried anyway by leaving her at vet with oxygen and heat. I wish I could have held her until she passed. Atleast she would have been with me and not scared. I think your rabbit was lucky to be with you at that time. Keep your head up and remember the good life you gave to that bunny. Most rabbits and people to don't get to experience this kind of bond. Take care.

Thank you both so much. I think I wanted to share here because I knew other bunny parents would really get it, and the support means a lot coming from all. Thanks for sharing your stories with me. ❤️

I am very sorry as we lost our beautiful snowball on Tuesday at 5:15 brought to vet day before at 5:45 pm and she went so quick. She was not eating, pooping and lifeless at the end. We felt so helpless as the vet could not save her and she died in my arms. Snowball cried in both eyes, gasp for air with her mouth, eyes turned blue, heart racing and died in my arms. Snowball was 8 years old with a beautiful white fur and black spots near nose and mouth. We are heartbroken

I am very sorry as we lost our beautiful snowball on Tuesday at 5:15 brought to vet day before at 5:45 pm and she went so quick. She was not eating, pooping and lifeless at the end. We felt so helpless as the vet could not save her and she died in my arms. Snowball cried in both eyes, gasp for air with her mouth, eyes turned blue, heart racing and died in my arms. Snowball was 8 years old with a beautiful white fur and black spots near nose and mouth. We are heartbroken
Oh no, I’m so sorry. We both lost them on the same day. Padfoot died in my arms too, and it was terrible, but as a previous poster brought up, it would feel much worse if I hadn’t. Sending love your way. <3

I lost my beautiful bunny Holly 3 days ago. Woke up the next 3 mornings at 4am, cried myself till the sun rose. I've never felt so much pain or heartbreak in my entire life. I completely understand how you feel, all the could haves and should haves linger in my head all day. Its still very painful for me and everywhere i go around my house, memories of her lying everywhere come back to me. I'm slowly trying to accept the fact that her memory will never go away, and thats a good thing. What I am doing is to try to do things in her memory, to help other people or other bunnies in future. We can't change the past, but we can change the future. The people on this forum have been nothing but supportive and helpful in my time of grief, and I hope i will be able to do the same for you.
I share your pain, and to quote Winnie the Pooh: "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard"
Sending my love to you, & may Holly & your bun meet at the rainbow bridge and get to greener pastures together.

Attachments

• pooh quote.jpg
    pooh quote.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 3
I lost my beautiful bunny Holly 3 days ago. Woke up the next 3 mornings at 4am, cried myself till the sun rose. I've never felt so much pain or heartbreak in my entire life. I completely understand how you feel, all the could haves and should haves linger in my head all day. Its still very painful for me and everywhere i go around my house, memories of her lying everywhere come back to me. I'm slowly trying to accept the fact that her memory will never go away, and thats a good thing. What I am doing is to try to do things in her memory, to help other people or other bunnies in future. We can't change the past, but we can change the future. The people on this forum have been nothing but supportive and helpful in my time of grief, and I hope i will be able to do the same for you.
I share your pain, and to quote Winnie the Pooh: "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard"
Sending my love to you, & may Holly & your bun meet at the rainbow bridge and get to greener pastures together.
I agree! This forum and these messages have been a balm to my heart ❤️ I hope they find each other too!

Latest posts

Back