Bunny died suddenly, worried about his bonded partner!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brassbunny

Reaction score
Hi all, this is my first post, as I'm sorry to say I just found you while researching what might have stolen our sweet boy from us this morning. He was btwn 4 & 5 years old (can't be exact as he was a rescue bunn), part lionhead & part unknown. We've had him for 3 years. He lost his former bonded mate a little over a year ago. He was very mopey so we took him back to the rescue to be matched with another bun. It took a couple of tries, but he finally bonded with another lionhead female and they've both been doing very well since. Though I have to say that he has never seemed quite the same since he lost his first mate; just not as happy. They've been perfectly healthy, no signs of abnormal poo. Suddenly this morning he was showing signs of gas pain. We got some simethecone in him, got a little water in the dropper into him, got some of it moving with a little gentle belly massage. Temp was not dropping. Called and found out my vet is out until until Feb 16th and nearest other exotic is over an hour away. But he seemed to be perking up with our ministrations, then suddenly started kicking & flopping and died in my son's arms. This all happened within about a 20 minute span. We're all still feeling stunned and heartbroken. My first instinct was to leave him in their enclosure so his mate can process his death, but now I'm concerned that he may have had something contagious?? I had to leave them with my sons at home as I am working today. Now I'm wondering if I did the right thing??

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I know how heartbreaking and difficult it can be when we lose them.

From your description it doesn't sound to me like what occurred was due to a contagious illness at all, as long as there were no odd fecal droppings or diarrhea involved. I would think that it could have been his heart or possibly a complication from the gas and bloat. Due to him passing away so suddenly it really doesn't sound like you could have done anything to prevent it. Though if you do have any concerns regarding this, it is always a good idea to consult with a vet.

Thank you for the reassurance. I think I am coming to terms with it just being the gas. It was just that the speed at which everything happened left me so stunned. We've nursed bunnies through stasis before, so it was a little shocking to lose him so quickly. He's always been pretty healthy, but as I said was never quite the same after he lost his first lady love, and was not as active so that could have contributed to his tummy troubles. This honestly could have been his first experience with that much pain, and he just couldn't take it. I feel so bad that we couldn't help him, but I know we did all we could and he is reunited with his best friend.

His new mate is a little older and was solo for a long time at the rescue, so I'm hoping she'll adjust quickly. They've only been bonded for a year. She left his side several times yesterday to eat, and seems to be acting appropriately. I removed him from the enclosure last night, so we'll give her lots of love today and just see how it goes! Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back