Bunny diagnosed with Ileus!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bella's mom

Reaction score
Hello my friends! Hope you’re all well!
Our 7.5 month old dwarf mix Gregory was diagnosed with Ileus. He hasn’t been eating the hay as much and hasn’t pooped as much. He let me pick him up a few times last night and was huddled over In pain and looks like he was shaking. Momma alert went off and we rushed him to the emergency 24 hr clinic...after 5 hours there they told us it’s Ileus. He’s on pain meds and meds to help him go. They gave us critical care but he refuses to eat it! He’s munching on Timothy hay, some pellets and romaine lettuce. Are there other foods I should give him? His spirit is better today, thank God! We lost Bella our beautiful Holland Lop 5 weeks ago and we just adopted our sweet bonded boys Rocco and Gregory 3 weeks ago. Any advice would be great!

How many greens can we feed them? What greens are great?
They also share one big cage so I added two litter boxes so I am not sure who uses which box! Also they groom themselves and they are long haired is there a cream or lubricant I can give them to help with hair balls? Any advice is appreciated! I noticed Gregory chewing on the box they slept in from the humane society so the box is out... I have a feeling that was part of the issue!! Thanks!

If he'll eat the romaine, I would continue to offer as much as he wants to eat, or any other greens that he usually likes to eat like cilantro or parsley. The extra moisture from it will be good to help get those gut contents hydrated. I would encourage hay eating, and I will usually limit pellets as the starches in them aren't the best for GI stasis issues. I focus on hay and greens. Moisture and fiber are the best things to improve gut motility.

If he is eating and drinking adequate amounts, I don't like to further stress them with syringe feeding if at all possible. But if not enough is being consumed on their own, syringe feeding food and water is necessary to get those gut contents hydrated and moving, even if they are resistant to it. Just always be slow and cautious with syringe feeding, giving time to swallow, so as to reduce the risk of aspiration.

Hairball lubricant isn't usually recommended as it can coat gut contents and prevent them from absorbing moisture to soften them up and help them pass. So it's usually just sticking with the meds and ensuring good fiber and hydration consumption that gets them feeling better again. Here's some info on that.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

If he'll eat the romaine, I would continue to offer as much as he wants to eat, or any other greens that he usually likes to eat like cilantro or parsley. The extra moisture from it will be good to help get those gut contents hydrated. I would encourage hay eating, and I will usually limit pellets as the starches in them aren't the best for GI stasis issues. I focus on hay and greens. Moisture and fiber are the best things to improve gut motility.

If he is eating and drinking adequate amounts, I don't like to further stress them with syringe feeding if at all possible. But if not enough is being consumed on their own, syringe feeding food and water is necessary to get those gut contents hydrated and moving, even if they are resistant to it. Just always be slow and cautious with syringe feeding, giving time to swallow, so as to reduce the risk of aspiration.

Hairball lubricant isn't usually recommended as it can coat gut contents and prevent them from absorbing moisture to soften them up and help them pass. So it's usually just sticking with the meds and ensuring good fiber and hydration consumption that gets them feeling better again. Here's some info on that.
http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

Thanks so much for your awesome reply and answer @JBun , it is very appreciative! . I was able to add some apple sauce to the CC and Gregory has enjoyed it so far. He was awesome with his meds and he's eating and binkying. I am thrilled and no longer scared. He's doing his binky's as I type. :) I changed his hay as the other hay was more dry and he's loving this one! I gave him some salad today and very minimal pellets and a ton of hay. I am hoping this is the last time this happens. I am concerned and love my boys so much (and of course my sweet girl who is no longer here). So happy these boys joined our family <3

I'm glad he's feeling better. I've found lots of hay and the right greens, the best defense against stasis, so hopefully it continues to do the trick for your bun too.

I'm glad he's feeling better. I've found lots of hay and the right greens, the best defense against stasis, so hopefully it continues to do the trick for your bun too.

Awe, thanks so much my wonderful friend. You are so kind, we hope the same thing. He's munching away on greens like he's never seen food before in his life. I gave him his pain meds at 7 pm and gave him his meds to help him go at 11 pm....he's such a good bunny and he allows me to feed him the meds with the syringe. So glad he's eating and taking the CC as well. I love being a bun mom! They are a sheer blessing for sure!! Thanks so much @JBun :)

Latest posts

Back