Bunny constantly trying to mate with me?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s’moresthebunny123

Reaction score
Hi everybody. I have had my bunny Smores for six years(since he was a baby). It is too risky to get him neutered now and we didn't before because I was uneducated. We haven't had a problem with it before, but now its gotten bad. Every night he's constantly thumping and running around. I get no sleep anymore. Whenever I get on the floor to play with him or clean up he runs around me in circles while grunting. When I stand up he starts humping my legs and sniffing them like crazy. He has never sprayed though. At night he jumps up on my bed(which he never did before). Hes always following me around now as well. I had such a bond with him before but now its making me crazy. I don't enjoy any time with him anymore and most of the time he's locked in my room (I know its not fair to punish him when its not his fault but its gotten to a very bad point). I am going to go crazy and I need help. Any advice is welcome and needed. Please help. I can not sleep when he's always jumping on my bed and thumping.

You might have to pay more, but some exotic vets will do the surgery when they are over six years. I don’t know why Smores is doing this when he has never done it before, but maybe just check what your regular vet thinks is the cause first.

I’m thinking that it might be spring fever (Baby fever), because he wants to mate. It could be quite risky getting him neutered because he is so old. But, if you have him checked over by a vet, they might possibly deem him healthy enough to be neutered. As for him being annoying, you will need to allow him out to play. I would keep him in an xpen, and don’t let him in your room at night unless that isn’t an option.

Well, my buck is 4 now, and this year it's bad, although I'm not the center of his attention but his spayed cuddlebun, he has been a PITA to her for hours each day the last 3 months. And there was some mopping up to do when he sprayed her.

It's getting better now, spring fever tapers off. So, it might just be a fluke that it's that bad this year.
But I too consider neutering mine since he lost his job anyway because he got arthrosis, have to talk with the vet about that.
Since they are free roam house bunnys I (and his cuddlebun) could well do without those antics.

I’m thinking that it might be spring fever (Baby fever), because he wants to mate. It could be quite risky getting him neutered because he is so old. But, if you have him checked over by a vet, they might possibly deem him healthy enough to be neutered. As for him being annoying, you will need to allow him out to play. I would keep him in an xpen, and don’t let him in your room at night unless that isn’t an option.
Thanks, spring fever is a possibility. I just feel terrible because it is not his fault and this must be awful for him. I have already gone over neutering with my vet and he turned me down. I don’t have any other exotic vets around me either. He said it’s too risky. I will get out the X pen now. Last night I set him up in another room so I could sleep but he kept scratching at the door.

If he has never exhibited this excessive hormonal behavior in the past, there's a possibility there is a health problem causing the sudden change of behavior, especially with him being a little bit older. If the behavior doesn't settle back down soon, to find out if he is producing excess hormones possibly due to an adrenal issue, you would need to take him to your vet and probably get a blood test done.

If your vet isn't experienced enough to neuter a 6 yr old rabbit, which is only middle aged and not that old, if possible find an experienced rabbit vet even if you have to drive a bit to get there. If you have to stick with your current vet, see if they will at least do a blood test and treat your bun if the hormone levels are high.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

If he has never exhibited this excessive hormonal behavior in the past, there's a possibility there is a health problem causing the sudden change of behavior, especially with him being a little bit older. If the behavior doesn't settle back down soon, to find out if he is producing excess hormones possibly due to an adrenal issue, you would need to take him to your vet and probably get a blood test done.

If your vet isn't experienced enough to neuter a 6 yr old rabbit, which is only middle aged and not that old, if possible find an experienced rabbit vet even if you have to drive a bit to get there. If you have to stick with your current vet, see if they will at least do a blood test and treat your bun if the hormone levels are high.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
That’s what I was thinking but he seems to be acting fine. I scheduled an appointment with the vet for next week(that is the soonest available option). My vet isn’t the greatest but he’s the only one who will see S’mores and he is 45 minutes away. I might try to find another one but it is very hard to find a better exotic vet.

Back in the old days -- before anyone seemed to know anything about rabbits -- we had un-fixed males in the house. We just put up with it. It's annoying to get sprayed (especially when you're about to go out to dinner at a nice restaurant)... but what can you do? The adrenal gland comment by JBun is definitely noteworthy too. I had a lop rabbit who was fixed and he was still very, um, vigorous.

As others have mentioned, it is possible (although not recommended) to have an older rabbit go in for surgery. If you can find a vet who is very confident in their skills and has worked on older rabbits successfully, then perhaps that's an option. And if it's just a case of spring fever and it only lasts a few months each year, that's not terrible by any means. When I was a child, I recall that my mom went out and bought a plush/doll bunny 'girlfriend' for our unfixed rabbit (she named 'her' Floozy).

I agree ^^I also immediately thought the same after reading the first post, that you should get him a plushie/stuffed animal in the meantime to circle and hump.

Latest posts

Back