Bunny concern .... ๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ‡๐Ÿ˜• Help!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello and welcome to the forum!

You'll need to be more specific with your questions so that they can be answered. Perhaps you could start by posting a photo of your rabbit's current setup. Then include information like...
  • age of your rabbit
  • how long you've had him
  • whether it is male or female
  • whether it is fixed
  • what bunny is fed each day (pellet brand and quantity, any hay, any greens)
  • whether he's litter trained

My rabbits are almost two. They are both male. They are not fixed yet. I feed them hay and Small World pellets. What can I do to bond with them? They are very timid and I don't want to scare them by trying to handle/pet them .....

Attachments

• IMG_0658.jpg
    IMG_0658.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 8
Have you had them long? Are they housed indoors or out? Do you have a photo of their housing set-up? They appear to get along. It's not common for 2 males to get along if they are not fixed.

What kind of hay do they get and how much?

To bond with them, just sit inside an enclosed area with them (like a bathroom or inside an exercise pen). Let them approach you and you ignore them -- at least at the start. In time and as they get used to you, you'll be able to pet them and build that bond from there. The following page on my website goes into more detail and has some photos/video too:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

Have you had them long? Are they housed indoors or out? Do you have a photo of their housing set-up? They appear to get along. It's not common for 2 males to get along if they are not fixed.

What kind of hay do they get and how much?

To bond with them, just sit inside an enclosed area with them (like a bathroom or inside an exercise pen). Let them approach you and you ignore them -- at least at the start. In time and as they get used to you, you'll be able to pet them and build that bond from there. The following page on my website goes into more detail and has some photos/video too:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/bonding-with-your-bunny.html

I've had them almost two years. They did get along in the beginning when I first got them (attached is picture of them when I first met them (two in the middle). But now I have them separated because one day I was in a different room and I heard one (not sure which one) make a distressing sound. So after that I have kept them separated

Attachments

• IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    207.4 KB · Views: 5
They are so cute!!

Yeah, it's pretty common for baby rabbits to get along. But once hormones kick in, then all that goes out the window. They would need to be fixed if you ever wanted to try to bond them back together (no guarantees).

So where are they each kept? Any pics? To answer your question on whether you are "doing things right" we need to see their housing set-ups. What kind of hay do they get? What amount of pellets?

They are so cute!!

Yeah, it's pretty common for baby rabbits to get along. But once hormones kick in, then all that goes out the window. They would need to be fixed if you ever wanted to try to bond them back together (no guarantees).

So where are they each kept? Any pics? To answer your question on whether you are "doing things right" we need to see their housing set-ups. What kind of hay do they get? What amount of pellets?

I have them in separate pens/cages for the time being

I have them in separate pens/cages for the time being
Hi, as I understand you would like to bond them together and you keep them separately all those 2 years?

This is normal that two male rabbits can't be bonded together if they are intact, the babies become hormonal around 3 - 4 months of age and they need to be separated because they will fight for dominance over their territory and they will hump each other and will spray urine to mark their territory, so you did very good separating them. Now, if you want to bond them together, they need to be neutered, both, and after neutering they have to stay separated for min 8 weeks because they will still stay hormonal after neutering. When they will calm down you can start bonding process, but you will need to do it in a neutral territory, where they never been before, maybe bathroom or something like that. There's no guarantee that they will bond, but in my experience two neutered males can be bonded.

Here you can watch a video on bonding process, just so you have general understanding how it works

Here's another video maybe start with it as they give all basics about bonding rabbits, but both have to be neutered. It is extremely rare that two intact male bond together, it's just against their nature, if it happens it is maybe one of them is super submissive and lets the other one dominate.

I tried bonding one very submissive (and neutered) make to another very friendly intact male, there were no fights, but the unneutered one kept grooming the neutered one so heavily so he had a bold spot on hos back from grooming, I felt so bad about him and so separated them.

Here's another video

Hi, as I understand you would like to bond them together and you keep them separately all those 2 years?

This is normal that two male rabbits can't be bonded together if they are intact, the babies become hormonal around 3 - 4 months of age and they need to be separated because they will fight for dominance over their territory and they will hump each other and will spray urine to mark their territory, so you did very good separating them. Now, if you want to bond them together, they need to be neutered, both, and after neutering they have to stay separated for min 8 weeks because they will still stay hormonal after neutering. When they will calm down you can start bonding process, but you will need to do it in a neutral territory, where they never been before, maybe bathroom or something like that. There's no guarantee that they will bond, but in my experience two neutered males can be bonded.

Here you can watch a video on bonding process, just so you have general understanding how it works

Thank you - I'm going to watch it now

Latest posts

Back