Bunny care during vacation?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luigi

Reaction score
What arrangements do you make for your bunny when you're on vacation or just need to be away from home for X amount of time?

My husband and I will be flying out to the US soon. We'll be gone for three weeks. Our bunny Luigi will be moved to my mother-in-law's house until we return. Unfortunately, my mom-in-law will also be on vacation herself with her family for a week. Their family already has two cats and a bunny (housed separately upstairs), so her neighbor is going to check on the animals and feed them every day. I'm especially worried for that one week when there will be nobody in the house to give Luigi company. He's a curious and social bunny who enjoys being petted, and it breaks my heart that he has to be left alone for a whole week with little to no human interaction. Will he be bored? Will he be depressed? It makes me wonder.

I plan on writing up a list of things regarding his feeding and general care, to give to the neighbor caretaker, but is there anything I can do in advance to make that week less boring for him? Should I leave more toys in his cage before we go? He likes chewing on toilet/kitchen paper rolls, for example. The thing is, I can't imagine that he'll be allowed out of his cage there, given that he has a tendency to chew on anything he feels like, and that house is not at all bunny proofed. There are cables everywhere, not to mention two cats walking around. Our poor baby is most likely going to be stuck in his cage for one whole week without human company, and a further two weeks in the company of people he doesn't know very well. He'll probably be scared or at least wary of the people he's going to be meeting. He also tends to chew on his cage and rattle the door when he's fed up of being caged, but I don't know if he'll do that when we're not around. I just don't know how this is going to unfold. Maybe he'll cope well, or maybe he won't. Any tips?

I have been away from my boy (Flemish Giant) for three weeks before, and yes he was a little depressed for the whole time but he made it through OK. Just make sure your bunny has a huge cage to run around in and play, give him toys that will keep him entertained and ask if the neighbours can pet him for a few minutes everyday???

I have been away from my boy (Flemish Giant) for three weeks before, and yes he was a little depressed for the whole time but he made it through OK. Just make sure your bunny has a huge cage to run around in and play, give him toys that will keep him entertained and ask if the neighbours can pet him for a few minutes everyday???
Sadly, his current cage is not that big. He's actually using the old cage of my sister-in-law's bunny. When we got Luigi, we didn't have a cage ready, so my in-laws were kind enough to let us have this one. He is getting bigger, so I might have to look into getting a new and bigger cage for him...

Latest posts

Back