Bunny cage - Room for improvement?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You probably need a bigger cage. What time do you put her in the cage at night? And what time do you let her out?

I'm so sorry to hear about those bunnies, @TreasuredFriend!

I use a thin layer of yesterday's news (unscented paper pellets) in the litter box. Her hay box only has hay. Being unspayed, she has started to poop in her hay box occasionally, but luckily she's good about using her litter for pee.
I tried the hay in a box for my bunny, but she started to poop in it. So, I removed the box. Put or hang some hay in the litter box. Use a towel, blanket, or pet bed for sleeping on. My bunny came with a cage. And it was out of the as fast as it came in.
It's easier for me to sweep and vacuum, than to deal with cleaning a cage.

Are bunnies very active at night?
My answer is no because of my experience. My bunny free roam all day and night, she used to sleep at night under my bed. I think you can use play pen rather a small cage. Play pen is much better than cage. But if you not have enough space in your house for play pen then you may leave your bunny in a different room .

Your room there seems pretty great for not having that cage there at all. There aren't any electric cords visible, and i don't think you have wallpaper there? If you say she's been fine roaming all day without getting into any shenanigans, then it would be a greta idea to monitor what she does(and now that there's a petcam you can see where she goes at night) and if she's still all good, maybe do some rabbit-proofing here or there, and then i would say you're good to go and leave that door open all day all night.
I see there are two water dishes and two litterboxes? Why the doubles? I think that the one which is self-refilling(that white, bigger one) is good, no need for doubles unless it's smoldering hot or something. As for the two litterboxes, try shoving the bigger one into the corner that the smaller one is at, and just keep the litter beding in that one corner. She will most likely be a tad bit confused but still keep going how she's used to. Food in the poopy box tends to ensure more stable litter habits too.
This doesn't keep on helping if she's not spayed though. Have you tried these links:
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/Vet Care | Rabbit Rescue &Rehab ?

Anyways, good luck!

Your room there seems pretty great for not having that cage there at all. There aren't any electric cords visible, and i don't think you have wallpaper there? If you say she's been fine roaming all day without getting into any shenanigans, then it would be a greta idea to monitor what she does(and now that there's a petcam you can see where she goes at night) and if she's still all good, maybe do some rabbit-proofing here or there, and then i would say you're good to go and leave that door open all day all night.
I see there are two water dishes and two litterboxes? Why the doubles? I think that the one which is self-refilling(that white, bigger one) is good, no need for doubles unless it's smoldering hot or something. As for the two litterboxes, try shoving the bigger one into the corner that the smaller one is at, and just keep the litter beding in that one corner. She will most likely be a tad bit confused but still keep going how she's used to. Food in the poopy box tends to ensure more stable litter habits too.
This doesn't keep on helping if she's not spayed though. Have you tried these links:
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/Vet Care | Rabbit Rescue &Rehab ?

Anyways, good luck!
Thanks so much for your thoughts @Catlyn ! She actually only has one littler box (in the corner). The larger box is her hay box where she eats and sleeps (see pic below). I'd hate to take that one away because it's her go-to spot.

I can definitely move her little food bowl out of the cage since it's only used 2x a day for her handful of pellets.

Cage in living room 3_labeled.png

Thanks so much for your thoughts @Catlyn ! She actually only has one littler box (in the corner). The larger box is her hay box where she eats and sleeps (see pic below). I'd hate to take that one away because it's her go-to spot.

I can definitely move her little food bowl out of the cage since it's only used 2x a day for her handful of pellets.

View attachment 55059
I agree with catlyn I would move the tan litter box over to where the blue litter box is. You can put the blue litter box into the tan litter box, you can also put the food bowl into the litter box. Rabbits love to eat and poop. You can use the other side and stick a hide house in there, that would be great!

I agree with catlyn I would move the tan litter box over to where the blue litter box is. You can put the blue litter box into the tan litter box, you can also put the food bowl into the litter box. Rabbits love to eat and poop. You can use the other side and stick a hide house in there, that would be great!

Right now she sleeps and nibbles in her hay box. If I put her litter box inside her hay box, I'm wondering where she would sleep. In the new hidey house?

What i was meaning to say, similarly to Peanut, you can try fitting the smaller box into the corner of the bigger box. Pouring the toilet pellets to one side of the bigger box and leaving hay at the other end will yield the same results. This is, in my experience, the most common toilet setup-efficient and not as space-consuming. Then she'll pee, poo, eat and even sprawl out in that one box. They aren't picky in that sense.

What i was meaning to say, similarly to Peanut, you can try fitting the smaller box into the corner of the bigger box. Pouring the toilet pellets to one side of the bigger box and leaving hay at the other end will yield the same results. This is, in my experience, the most common toilet setup-efficient and not as space-consuming. Then she'll pee, poo, eat and even sprawl out in that one box. They aren't picky in that sense.
Gotcha. Thanks.

I think it is okay but a little tight. Could you add a shelf there by chance? Or possibly put a pen around? We had the 2nd largest size dog crate and had a shelf. It was quite large. We switched to having her have an area with a covered little, a small cat condo, food/water. She is out during the day and we put a pen around the area at night...option.

I find it best to have hay available while bunny is in the litter box. They like to eat and poop at the same time. If you want to keep a box of hay for her lay in, that's fine, but you should have hay in/near the litter box. I actually made a hay feeder from a cereal box when I had 2 buns, and was going to build a wooden one to replace it if it worked okay. I assumed they'd tear the cardboard one, since they loved to chew cardboard hidey houses to shreds. Well, that was 4 years ago, and the cereal box hasn't even got a tear in it! I lost one of my girls last August. but the 2 of them used this box every day, and now my remaining girl does too. Here's a pic of the "temporary" box I made from a cereal box and duct tape:

Attachments

• litter box with cereal box feeder.jpg
    litter box with cereal box feeder.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 9
I find it best to have hay available while bunny is in the litter box. They like to eat and poop at the same time. If you want to keep a box of hay for her lay in, that's fine, but you should have hay in/near the litter box. I actually made a hay feeder from a cereal box when I had 2 buns, and was going to build a wooden one to replace it if it worked okay. I assumed they'd tear the cardboard one, since they loved to chew cardboard hidey houses to shreds. Well, that was 4 years ago, and the cereal box hasn't even got a tear in it! I lost one of my girls last August. but the 2 of them used this box every day, and now my remaining girl does too. Here's a pic of the "temporary" box I made from a cereal box and duct tape:
This is great!

Latest posts

Back