Bunny breathing fast?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBuns

Reaction score
Hello,
I got a new bunny today! However, he’s breathing really fast and not moving? I don’t remember my bun doing that she was scared, but not like that. How can I calm him down?

Yay! Give him a hidey house and a cozy blanket. You can also give him some fresh or dried Camomile, Lavender (may not eat it), or Lemonbalm for anxiety. I would leave him alone for a while so he can calm down and not feel stressed.

Yay! Give him a hidey house and a cozy blanket. You can also give him some fresh or dried Camomile, Lavender (may not eat it), or Lemonbalm for anxiety. I would leave him alone for a while so he can calm down and not feel stressed.
Thank you:) and camomile all I have is the tea kind?

I would put the bunny and cage in a very quiet part of your place with a light sheet partially covering the cage to help provide a sense of security. Then disturb the bunny as little as possible for the next 48 hours. Only checking to make sure bun is eating, drinking, and pooping ok, and seems alright. If the bunny is eating/drinking ok but still seems scared after that time, it's going to take some patient work to help your bun feel safe around you.

I wouldn't be giving any new foods that he's not used to. You need to stick with the same exact foods he's used to, at least for the next few weeks until he's settled in well, then very gradually make dietary changes. Exception would be that it's ok to add a free fed non grain grass hay, and if his current food pellet is causing severe digestive problems then changing that would be necessary.

I would put the bunny and cage in a very quiet part of your place with a light sheet partially covering the cage to help provide a sense of security. Then disturb the bunny as little as possible for the next 48 hours. Only checking to make sure bun is eating, drinking, and pooping ok, and seems alright. If the bunny is eating/drinking ok but still seems scared after that time, it's going to take some patient work to help your bun feel safe around you.

I wouldn't be giving any new foods that he's not used to. You need to stick with the same exact foods he's used to, at least for the next few weeks until he's settled in well, then very gradually make dietary changes. Exception would be that it's ok to add a free fed non grain grass hay, and if his current food pellet is causing severe digestive problems then changing that would be necessary.
Yes, I’ll make sure to stick with the food he’s used to for know. He’s eating hay already only scared of me. Hope he warms up to me.

How long should I wait to get him neutered ? Should I let him settle in first maybe a month or more?

I would wait 2 weeks because you should have a pretty good bond by then. It only took Theo and me 4 days to bond.

I would wait 2 weeks because you should have a pretty good bond by then. It only took Theo and me 4 days to bond.
That seems good I’ll wait. You think I should get his check up? He’s been sneezing since I got him today?

Wait...I’m going to take him he has a runny nose it’s clear though can it spread to my other bun?

Another thing his poop has like a clear glossy coat on it? I’m worried that he’ll get sick or is sick and spread it to my other bun. I’m not sure if the others took good care of him too.

He probably is sick. I would take him in so he doesn't spread to your other rabbit. The thick glossy coat on his poop is mucus, and it normally happens when a rabbit is recovering from stasis.

He probably is sick. I would take him in so he doesn't spread to your other rabbit. The thick glossy coat on his poop is mucus, and it normally happens when a rabbit is recovering from stasis.
I think so to I woke up and I seen a lot cecotropes everywhere? What could it be?

Is he not eating the cecotropes? Is he eating normally? Is he sitting in a hunched position?

If he just came home today, leave him alone for 48 hours as Jenny suggested. Stop fussing with him. The uneaten cecals and sneezing can simply be him being stressed from the move. Give him time and leave him be for now.

Is he not eating the cecotropes? Is he eating normally? Is he sitting in a hunched position?
He’s not eating them there all over the floor. He’s eating hay and pooping but it’s glossy/oily almost. No hunched position just laying on his belly.

If he just came home today, leave him alone for 48 hours as Jenny suggested. Stop fussing with him. The uneaten cecals and sneezing can simply be him being stressed from the move. Give him time and leave him be for now.
Yes, i haven’t fused with him I go check on him here and there. Is it normal that his nose is all wet? I’ll let him be. he has an appointment Wednesday.

Is he pressing his tummy to the floor? If so he probably is getting Gi-stasis. Are his ears cold? Pushing his belly to the ground, cold ears, shivering, oily poop, a cold/wet nose, weirdly shaped poop are all signs of stasis. I know you should leave him alone, but he is probably getting sick.

No don’t seem like it. His ears are warm nose is wet all around know. Poops are round but oily/glossy as said. One thing I forgot to mention he smelled a lot I mean a lot like perfume! It gave me a migraine too.

Latest posts

Back