Bunny Bootcamp

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosleybun

Reaction score
As trying to bond my bunnies was far beyond my skills I have taken them to a bunny bonding service for two weeks. Looking forward to picking them up. I've been advised to put them in a small space, on one level, no bigger than 8ftx2ft. Though they are supposed to be house bunnies with ample space to run around. Has anyone got any advice or suggestions for them returning home. I have cleaned thoroughly so there are no previous scents. If I give them separate bowls and litter trays they wont have room to move in an 8x2 space!

They should be sharing a litter box and bowls if they are bonded. I'd imagine the smaller space is just temporary -- when they first move back to your house as a bonded pair. This is wise because offering too much space too soon can cause a problem with their bond. After a few weeks or so, they can get much more space.

They should be sharing a litter box and bowls if they are bonded. I'd imagine the smaller space is just temporary -- when they first move back to your house as a bonded pair. This is wise because offering too much space too soon can cause a problem with their bond. After a few weeks or so, they can get much more space.
Thank you so much for your reply, its really helpful. I think they have been given too much free run initially, which may have made territory issues worse. They did have free run of a large garden, should they be limited to a run? In their absence I think I've been over ambitious in making them a two storey den!

When they first come home, their bond will still be fragile. This is the reason for the recommendation to limit them to an 8x12 area for awhile. Is the 2-story den for indoors? Could you attach a photo?

If they are indoor rabbits, then I'd wait quite awhile before considering outdoor space. It will take time for them to slowly acclimate to any expanded indoor space. For now, they should stay confined in the smaller 8 x 12 area. Then they will be able to have that area expanded in small increments. That expanded area can slowly grow to including as much indoor space as you like. Just remember that you have plenty of time to expand their roaming. Better to go too slowly than too fast.

When they first come home, their bond will still be fragile. This is the reason for the recommendation to limit them to an 8x12 area for awhile. Is the 2-story den for indoors? Could you attach a photo?

If they are indoor rabbits, then I'd wait quite awhile before considering outdoor space. It will take time for them to slowly acclimate to any expanded indoor space. For now, they should stay confined in the smaller 8 x 12 area. Then they will be able to have that area expanded in small increments. That expanded area can slowly grow to including as much indoor space as you like. Just remember that you have plenty of time to expand their roaming. Better to go too slowly than too fast.
I really appreciate this advice thank you. I have attached a photo for reference. They will be house bunnies, they were living separated in the conservatory but I can reduce the size with a divider and take their toys out. I'd rather take things slowly to ensure they bond in the long term. 20201010_142516.jpg

I really like that structure, how did you attach the fabrics? Your buns are very lucky to have your care and support.
Aww thanks its been a project during lockdown, with two old wooden bedside cabinets as they a big buns. The material is vinyl which I've stuck on with non toxic Pva glue. I researched that this was the most pet friendly way to cover it. Though I will let you know how it holds up to bunny gnawing!

Latest posts

Back