Bunny bonding questions?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

Dandy&Tuli4693

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 14, 2021
Messages
67
Reaction score
54
Location
Florida
Ok so I have 2 bunnys who need to be bonded soonish anyway both are fixed, I have a spayed mini lop who is about 6yo
And a 5 month old neutered lionhead who got neutered on july 16
They were already bonded right before his nuts dropped and then we got him neutered so we are wondering if we should start trying to bond them again or wait another week or two?
 

Blue eyes

Staff member
Moderator
Joined
Mar 19, 2012
Messages
8,372
Reaction score
5,553
Location
Arizona, USA
It's usually recommended to wait a minimum of 4 weeks and up to 8 weeks post neuter before allowing a male to be introduced to another bun. That is the amount of time it can take for hormones to fully dissipate.

The potential problem that could occur if one attempts bonding while those residual hormones still linger is that the two buns will get into a fight. Those residual hormones can cause either rabbit to react negatively. If they do get into a fight, then that could seriously setback any bonding, or drag out the bonding into many weeks or months, or could even prevent them from ever bonding.

So trying to bond too soon runs the risk of compromising or even preventing their bond.
 

JBun

Jenny - Health & Wellness Mod
Staff member
Administrator
Moderator
Joined
Sep 10, 2012
Messages
10,575
Reaction score
5,952
Location
Utah, , USA
If you decide you want to try a trial introduction to see if his hormones have calmed down, you just need to be ready to quickly intervene and separate if he shows signs of getting overly excited and showing any hormonal behavior like spraying, circling and buzzing, or going right into trying to mount her. If any of that happens or any aggressive behavior, I'd pull him right out before it escalates, and wait at least a couple more weeks before another try. It's good to have gloves and a soft broom handy just in case, so you don't accidentally get bit trying to separate if anything happens.

If you aren't sure about what you want to do or if the hormones have calmed down enough, best to wait at least a couple more weeks before trying anything.


 

Latest posts

Top