bunny biting bars of cage

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosy

Reaction score
my bunny has recently developed a habit of biting the bars of his cage. i especially notice it when i come near his cage. any idea why he would be doing it? do u think he's bored? maybe he doesn't get out enough? he lives in an outdoor cage. any advice would b appreciated. thanx!

Whenever our rabbit has bitten the bars it’s because he wants to get out. He’s free roam so never takes kindly to being in an x-pen but when we have a lot of people over I section off a part of a room for him so he doesn’t get driven mad. Think he wants to be driven mad!!

if i take him out when he bites the bars, will it reinforce the habit? (obviously, i don't want that...)

I know my outdoors bunny will bite the bars of the run. When someone walks by, they want to get attention or begging for treats.

One of them stopped after sometime and rather stick the head out from the run. While the other can still chew the bars when trying to reach the grass on the other side.

How’s his set up outdoors and how many hours do he spend outside the cage [emoji5]

I’m not sure... sorry, that’s not very helpful. I don’t think it will reinforce a habit as I reckon he’ll always bite the bars when he wants to get out whether you always let him out or not. Hopefully others with more experience will be more useful.

@Hermelin, here r pics of his cage here that I posted at an earlier date.. https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/keepng-bun-warm-outside.95996/. u may remember that :). I'm going to be working on building him a real hutch like structure quite soon as the weather will soon turn cold (as per ur advice :). ) I try my best to take him out as often as possible...

I remember know, been studying alot so my head it’s only filled with drugs and everyday diseases.

You can put toys and stuff in his cage, so he can play with them. Also giving fresh branches to chew and maybe have a place to dig.

I know my bunnies will dig a lot when bored, chew the toys or lay up on the table while watching the cages. Sometimes they move the toys around in the cage and redecorate.

You can also spread out food and make him work for the food, so he can get the pent up energy out. Myself often try to at least spend 1 hour cuddle time with my outdoor bunnies, even during winter time in the snow . It’s during the time when they are active and they learn the schedule [emoji21]

For example my outdoor bunny Toste will chew the mesh when I’m not out before 10:00, just telling it’s time to open up his hutch to the run while my doe tells don’t forget to pet me before you go

ok thanx guys. I guess ill work on all that. I will try to dedicate a specific time every day to play with him. thanx for all the ideas @Hermelin. I will try them out.

Mine know their free roam schedule too. My lop only bites the bars when it’s around the time to let her out.

@Hermelin, here r pics of his cage here that I posted at an earlier date.. https://www.rabbitsonline.net/threads/keepng-bun-warm-outside.95996/. u may remember that :). I'm going to be working on building him a real hutch like structure quite soon as the weather will soon turn cold (as per ur advice :). ) I try my best to take him out as often as possible...
That hutch doesn’t seem too good for cold weather. Well done for the effort but I wouldn’t want your little bunny to die because of the cold temperatures outside. My grandad built my outdoor rabbit hutch with the scraps of spare wood that he had laying in his garden and in ours. These pictures a little bit messy because I use it as storage now because my new bunny is indoors (and will probably stay there). This hutch for me at least was 100% free because we had all the supplies (my grandad is a carpenter). It would be fairly cheap anyway. And I know my hutch isn’t very attractive to the eye but it’s quite easy to do (it took him 2 weeks, working about an hour and a half each day) and you can just paint it with pet safe paint on the outside.

Attachments

• 05B2F8AA-52A7-4080-8DC9-E57797474527.jpeg
    05B2F8AA-52A7-4080-8DC9-E57797474527.jpeg
    65.8 KB · Views: 17
  • A706C12F-1FCF-4A23-AAB1-5499254A5671.jpeg
    A706C12F-1FCF-4A23-AAB1-5499254A5671.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 2D944124-A6EC-46E0-A83A-6AD04B3EEDB9.jpeg
    2D944124-A6EC-46E0-A83A-6AD04B3EEDB9.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 17
That hutch doesn’t seem too good for cold weather. Well done for the effort but I wouldn’t want your little bunny to die because of the cold temperatures outside. My grandad built my outdoor rabbit hutch with the scraps of spare wood that he had laying in his garden and in ours. These pictures a little bit messy because I use it as storage now because my new bunny is indoors (and will probably stay there). This hutch for me at least was 100% free because we had all the supplies (my grandad is a carpenter). It would be fairly cheap anyway. And I know my hutch isn’t very attractive to the eye but it’s quite easy to do (it took him 2 weeks, working about an hour and a half each day) and you can just paint it with pet safe paint on the outside.

I'm glad you brought your rabbit indoors. That outdoor hutch isn't quite appropriate either (though better than some I've seen). Each level is rather short in height and doesn't allow for a rabbit to stretch up fully on their hind legs. Unless it was attached to a run with 24/7 access, it is also too small for permanent housing.

Here's a good video discussing hutch sizing:

and here's an example of a more appropriate shelter for outdoor rabbits:

my bunny is inside for now. i really would like to keep him inside permanently but its not up to me...

I'm glad you brought your rabbit indoors. That outdoor hutch isn't quite appropriate either (though better than some I've seen). Each level is rather short in height and doesn't allow for a rabbit to stretch up fully on their hind legs. Unless it was attached to a run with 24/7 access, it is also too small for permanent housing.

Here's a good video discussing hutch sizing:

and here's an example of a more appropriate shelter for outdoor rabbits:

We had a run but when we brought my new rabbit indoors and stopped using the outdoor hutch, we sold it. That hutch was built for my first rabbit who was a Netherland dwarf. He could stand up. But yeah, I hating him being outdoors.

Latest posts

Back