Bunny bite or ring worm?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I've been a rabbit owner for just over a year now and two months ago I found a small rabbit in a children's park. I assumed that someone had abandoned her since there was no one else around in the park at the time and I decided to take her home. Now, my older rabbit, Pixie is the dominant of the two. I've noticed that sometimes when Pixie jumps on Daisy (my new bunny from the park) that she also bites her on the neck, the same spot you see in the photo. She would also groom Daisy always in the same spot, where she has this patch of fur missing and that small scab. But this patch has gotten bigger and I'm not sure if it's from the biting, grooming or if maybe Daisy has ringworm. Can anyone give me their opinion on this, please? Other than this Daisy seems very healthy and happy. They also get along fine but the biting is worrying me when Pixie shows that she is the dominant one. They do groom each other, Pixie is chinning Daisy all the time, they sleep next to each other, eat from the same bowl...
Also, could anyone tell which rabbit species Daisy is?
Thanks.

Oh, and they are both female rabbits.

Attachments

• daisy1.jpg
    daisy1.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 13
  • daisy2.jpg
    daisy2.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I can't give you much advice as i've also been a rabbit owner for just over a year (13months) and both my rabbits never had this. I've never had duo rabbits either.
Have you called or been to the vet to see what they say? If you haven't, you better go.
You probably can't tell us how old Daisy is either, but how much does she weigh? Her short ears and rounded face look like some kind of mini/dwarf breed.

I can't give you much advice as i've also been a rabbit owner for just over a year (13months) and both my rabbits never had this. I've never had duo rabbits either.
Have you called or been to the vet to see what they say? If you haven't, you better go.
You probably can't tell us how old Daisy is either, but how much does she weigh? Her short ears and rounded face look like some kind of mini/dwarf breed.
No haven't taken her to the vet yet. And I have no idea how much she weighs. But she is eating regularly.

That's good but make sure you get an appointment to a bunny savvy vet.
You could check the HRS for vet lists or someone else could also provide a good link.

It does look like a bite to me but I’m not fully sure. @JBun

Did you take her to the vet before you took her home? If she did have something wrong with her while she was in the park, she could’ve transferred it to Pixie

Hi, she looks like a Netherland dwarf to me too, and this wound looks like a typical bite. I assume they are not fixed, it looks like your Pixie is showing dominance and requests grooming and it is normal that she can nibble as a part of those requests.

You actually don't know how old is Daisy since she was just found in a park, unless she grew up over past two months so you can guess that she was still a baby. Maybe she is just smaller size than your Pixie?

The wound doesn't look dangerous to me and it should heal on its own, just it can be annoying if Pixie continues that so maybe you could get her fixed? It is possible that Daisy is already fixed if she is older, so she is maybe more relaxed because of that. But I can't say for sure of course.

She looks like a Netherland dwarf, and those are bite marks I think

It's likely she's so aggressive with it because she's hormonal. Once she's spayed it usually settles down. She may still occasionally do it to exert dominance but because hormones will no longer be driving the behavior, it doesn't usually occur as often or be as aggressive. Which means the fur pulling and scabbing should go away. I would suggest keeping a close eye on those scabs to makes sure it doesn't get infected or form an abscess.

Hi there! I agree with the other responses in that it is a bite. I would watch the bite, and definitely make sure that there are no bites anywhere else on little Daisy!! I would also agree on that she is a Netherland dwarf!

Latest posts

Back