Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bambithebunny

Reaction score
Hello everyone! So last friday I was grooming my bunny and I usually pluck out the hair around her tail with my hand. Of course I don't pull too much, just enough to make the already loose hair fall. Anyways I noticed that there was a lot of hair falling out a bit over her left back leg and when I checked I noticed that there was a bald spot and that maybe I had overplucked the hair?
71215222_1201912049995236_5282057630817189888_n.jpg
So I read some threads about it and everyone said it was okay because the skin didn't look irritated so I calmed down. The problem is that earlier today I checked the bald spot again and it now looks all red, flaky and irritated :(
70687077_386206815639269_3995515918355529728_n.jpg
It doesnt look like it hurts because even when I touch it, Bambi does not mind. She's acting the same as usual : eating, drinking, flopping doing zooming so I don't know what to do.

Since it has turned red, your rabbit could have a skin infection. You should have it looked at by a vet. I have a rabbit that has sebaceous adenitis, which causes hair loss and flakes. When her skin became red, she needed antibiotics for an infection. Allergies can also cause flakes and hair loss, and so can mites.

Hi, this is my first time on line. I was looking this up for my bunny Sunshine because he has been losing hair in patches, having flaky skin and is in pain for sure but his skin actually looks less red and more dry and pale around his low back and hind quarters. I had him tested and they didn’t find mites and so I don’t know what to do since his hair is alway matting up and he hates being brushed! It’s terribly stressful! Now he doesn’t trust me because when I do try to help it hurts him! He hates being picked up too! So it’s hard getting to the Vet, but if he has some sort of infection I better take him again! What is Sebaceous Adenitis? Do you know if too many sweets can cause hair and skin problems! He loves Apples, which I give for treats. Tiny pieces of course in the evening. Also he has a red sore under his chin? I had his teeth checked about 4 months ago as well and they said his teeth were good so far??? I just want him to be peaceful! He’s a sweet mini lop named Sunshine!

Attachments

• 9A13DC57-6932-4C51-95EE-584692553AC5.jpeg
    9A13DC57-6932-4C51-95EE-584692553AC5.jpeg
    23.2 KB · Views: 6
Hi, this is my first time on line. I was looking this up for my bunny Sunshine because he has been losing hair in patches, having flaky skin and is in pain for sure but his skin actually looks less red and more dry and pale around his low back and hind quarters. I had him tested and they didn’t find mites and so I don’t know what to do since his hair is alway matting up and he hates being brushed! It’s terribly stressful! Now he doesn’t trust me because when I do try to help it hurts him! He hates being picked up too! So it’s hard getting to the Vet, but if he has some sort of infection I better take him again! What is Sebaceous Adenitis? Do you know if too many sweets can cause hair and skin problems! He loves Apples, which I give for treats. Tiny pieces of course in the evening. Also he has a red sore under his chin? I had his teeth checked about 4 months ago as well and they said his teeth were good so far??? I just want him to be peaceful! He’s a sweet mini lop named Sunshine!

Sebaceous Adenitis is an autoimmune desease the effects the sebaceous (skin) glands. It is thought to be inherited and is rare. There is no cure, but their is treatment. It is not related to diet. It is often missed diagnosed as an allergy. An allergy will cause itching, and sebaceous adenitis, at least with my rabbit it does not itch. It usually begins around the face and neck. My rabbit lost fur around her dewlap, and had a small spot on her back and one on her side. She would get mats in her fur caused by the flakes. I had to rub vitamin E oil on the mats to get the flakes to loosen up, then comb them out. My rabbit is a mini rex, so her fur is short. I wish I could tell you what is wrong with your rabbit, but I really have no idea. I took my rabbit to a special veterinary dermatologist, which was very expensive.

Sebaceous Adenitis can lay dormant for years until something triggers it. I don't know what triggered it in my rabbit, but she had her first outbreak a few months ago, and she is four years old. I am hoping that it will go into remission with the proper care.

Thank you so much for this insight! It sounds a lot like what is going on with my Bunny and no one can seem to figure it out! I will pray that both our Buns get better fast! In the mean time I will take him to a Vet that specializes in dermatology if I can find one and ask about this diagnosis? Or just my vet!
Thank you again!

Thank you so much for this insight! It sounds a lot like what is going on with my Bunny and no one can seem to figure it out! I will pray that both our Buns get better fast! In the mean time I will take him to a Vet that specializes in dermatology if I can find one and ask about this diagnosis? Or just my vet!
Thank you again!

Sebaceous adenitis can be detected on a biopsy. My rabbit had a biopsy with my regular vet, but somehow it did not show up. When I took her to the dermatologist, and the vet said that she did not know why it was not detected on the biopsy, but she was sure that was what it was. That sometimes happens.

Hello everyone! So last friday I was grooming my bunny and I usually pluck out the hair around her tail with my hand. Of course I don't pull too much, just enough to make the already loose hair fall. Anyways I noticed that there was a lot of hair falling out a bit over her left back leg and when I checked I noticed that there was a bald spot and that maybe I had overplucked the hair?
View attachment 43114
So I read some threads about it and everyone said it was okay because the skin didn't look irritated so I calmed down. The problem is that earlier today I checked the bald spot again and it now looks all red, flaky and irritated :(
View attachment 43115
It doesnt look like it hurts because even when I touch it, Bambi does not mind. She's acting the same as usual : eating, drinking, flopping doing zooming so I don't know what to do.
Sebaceous adenitis can be detected on a biopsy. My rabbit had a biopsy with my regular vet, but somehow it did not show up. When I took her to the dermatologist, and the vet said that she did not know why it was not detected on the biopsy, but she was sure that was what it was. That sometimes happens.

Did you ever figure out what this was?? My rabbit currently has something very similar.

Did you ever figure out what this was?? My rabbit currently has something very similar.
My rabbit's problem comes and goes. It is the worst during molting. Other times I might find a small bald spot a little smaller than a dime, or little bumps which appear to be matted fur. I haven't taken her back to the dermatologist because her problem is manageable.

Latest posts

Back