Bunny awareness

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KittyKatMe

Reaction score
Do you have a (or more) bunnies? Post your pictures here! It's not letting me post in Photo Piles, unfortunately. I'll get some pics of mine up, too. I'm making a huge gallery. I'm at 23 so far. My goal is 100. I'm doing a project called 100 in 1000. It helps raise awareness for the petstore bunnies and how only a small fraction get the home they deserve. I'm doing it at my local feed store's "Pet Adoption Day". My friend is bringing in her 6 fosters, which are all petstore buns that got "too big". I did the same thing last year, and it was a huge success. My goal is to promote adoption and discourage buying from petstores, and to give people proper care. With the photo, please include name, age, and where you got them. Your pictures will be presented on a posterboard. I want it to eventually be 1000 for 0. I would prefer typical "petstore breeds" such as Mini Rex, Holland Lop, Netherland Dwarf, etc. But any bunny will be appreciated!

Hi! I'm Q-tip! I'm a year and a half old mini-rex. My mommies rescued me from a backyard breeder. They were selling us out in the heat in Texas on a 110 degree day when we were only 4 weeks old! Mommy wanted to adopt all of us, but there were tons and tons so she had to pick one. I'm lucky I was that one. It was too hot out there! Now I'm a happy, snuggly girl with a great home! I'd love my picture to be on a poster! I'm giving you a few to choose from! Mommy wants to add that she is all in favor of rabbit rescues instead of pet stores! But she feels like I was sort of a rescue because otherwise I would have probably been snake food. Or let go in the wild.

DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0338.jpg

We have 14 buns, but I'll just include the ones that I feel are "real rescues"

285782_4537807959744_1096373776_n.jpg

We got Babbitty Rabbitty when he was 6 weeks old. He was destined for snake food from a breeder because she did not like how energetic her was and all of her "culls" were sold to the local snake man. We heard about it and picked up two of them (One of which was rehomed) just hours before the guy was coming to pick them up.

530825_4525293646894_2026936094_n.jpg

From left to right, Tiana, Buttercup and Kia. Kia and Tiana were both easter baby dumps from people who did not want them after the Easter season had passed and Buttercup belonged to a family that had been keeping them in their backyard (Also allowing them to free roam the neighbourhood since the easily escaped the fence) and in the winter kept them in a hutch where they lived off dog food and veggies. She was severly overweight when she came to us and it took months for her to start getting over her fears of pretty much everything.

Whoops, I gotta go, I'll post more later.

My first rabbit I got from a pet store and I just love her so I don't think that is what you are looking for but this is Trudi, a mini rex around 5 or 6 months old. Her original owners bought her from a pet store and then decided they didn't want her and didn't take care of her so she ended up with me because I already had a rabbit and could take care of her and we love her.

28icdqv.jpg

2012-08-10_20-58-00_206.jpg

Not the best picture sorry (she is shedding now so I can not get a better one). This is Shiny Things. She is a Mini Rex doe that I breed. She is 2.5 years old. I sold her to a friend when I got rid of my rabbitry a couple of years because of college. I could not get my mind off of her so I got her back from my friend in August. She is a sweet heart.

2012-08-10_20-59-50_143.jpg

This is Beauty. I bought her from my friend who is a breeder who got her from another breeder. She is a Jersey Wooly that was born in January of 2011. I got her in August of this year.

028.jpg

This is Tiger (RIP). She is a Mini Rex doe that came from the second litter of babies that were born at my house. My dogs killed her a week before her 5th birthday. She was the best rabbit ever. I will always think of her. She is my heart bunny.

IMG_7760.jpg

From left to right: Sophie, Houdini, Becky, Gary, Bunnicula, Panda

371.jpg

From left to right: Houdini, Cinderella, Becky, Gary

004-3.jpg

Indiana Bunns

In order of appearence in my life, with their story-

Rebecca Lynn (Becky)- 6 year old mini lop, SPCA, abused and abandoned with permanant neurological damage from blunt force trauma to the head

Cinderella Lu (RIP)- 8 year old mini satin, HRS, easter bunny who grew up then spent 4 years in "jail"

Houdini Muppet- 2 year old english angora, luv-n-bunns, his mom was taken from a hoarder and he was born at the rescue

Indiana Bunns (RIP)- 4 year old mini lop, luv-n-bunns, neglected to the point of an abcess causing him to be blind and deaf, one eye sergically removed

Gheradelli Square (Gary)- 2 year old mini rex, taken from a breeder who was going to break his neck because he disqualified at the show. he was "not worth the pellets" to take home

Sophie Bee- 4 year old new zealand/flemish giant, pawsabilities, given up when she got too big and the kids got bored

Love all these pictures and stories!! Brandy, I can't believe some of the backgrounds your bunnies have...it's so sad. How can someone mistreat these sweet animals like that?? I'm glad they're with you know and have a great life!

Here are my two rescues (Junie's from a farm):

img_3734.jpg

Crispin (English Spot/dwarf mix) is about a year old. We got him in July when he was around 6-8 months old. We adopted him from a rabbit rescue organization who had gotten him from a local shelter. He was on "death row" essentially since his previous owners had dropped him off there because he was fighting with their other rabbits. Once he was neutered, he's turned into a total sweetheart! I wish his last family could see him now and see how much neutering an animal can change their personalities (for the better).

img_3605.jpg

My sweet Nibbles (Dutch mix)! We got him from a local shelter when he was just over 2 months old in October 2011. He's now over a year old! I just love him to death...he's my heart bunny :hearts

I can't believe I forgot Panda and Bunnicula! I am such a bad mommy! (honestly, I am just that tired)

Panda and Bunnicula both came from the Florida rescue mission over the summer that was posted here. They were two of the 10 rabbits that were going to be killed at the shelter because it was too full. They were both dropped off because their owners were "moving". I bonded them and they are living happily ever after.

I tend to take in rabbits that have been labeled unadoptable or need extra care. If I ever met the people who had Becky or Indy originally I think I would have to be violent. They were in horrible condition when I found them. Neither one knew how to hop! :shock:
Ugh, I can't talk about it because I get so upset. After everything they went through they are all so sweet natured.

What breed is Junie? She looks a lot like my Pandy man. I'm guessing he is a mini satin, but I really don't know.

Brandy, do you mean Crispin (my black and white bun)? We were told he's probably a mix of an English Spot and a dwarf bunny of some sort.

And since I'm allowed to gush over all my bunnies...:biggrin:

Junie!
img_3714.jpg

She's a Netherland Dwarf. We got her from a bunny farm (a nice one!) on New Year's Eve 2011 when she was 7 weeks old. She turned one on November 19th (Monday). When we first got her she would climb into our laps and sleep! She was so tiny. When she hit the "teenager" stage she wouldn't let us touch her very much, but now she's willing to sit still to be pet more often.

I've got an obscene number of photos of Nala and Gaz in their photobucket album: http://s1183.photobucket.com/albums/x465/mareimbri1/bunnies/

they're currently about six months old - Gaz is a Holland lop, Nala is a lionhead (both purebred).

I got them from a breeder, as I couldn't find any rescue rabbits in my city and was on a crusade to get a bunny THAT day (I woke up and arbitrarily decided "I'm getting a bunny today!" because I didn't want to go another day in an animal-free house). they got spayed last month, which cost me about $450 total for the two - one of many great reasons to adopt if it's possible.

my personal feelings are rescue/shelter >> breeders >> pet store. I'd never buy a bunny from a pet store, they keep them in horrible conditions and most of the time they have little to no hay... then, because they also sell cages and supplies, the pet store pressures people into buying that stuff from them and the bunny ends up in an inappropriately small cage.

I've had two bunnies - Scone MacBunny, who passed away in June 2010, and Natasha Rabbitova, who came to live with me in August 2010. Both mini-rexes, Scone was opal in color, Natasha is black. Here are their pictures:

Scone MacBunny:
7648_141432_160000004.jpg

Natasha Rabbitova:
7648_072122_360000001.jpg

526058_483624704993831_466539862_n.jpg

(Sorry not a great picture of him, but he's cute lol. I'll add another one.)

321230_269957016360602_891636773_n.jpg

When was younger; about 6 months old here.

Oliver is a one and half year old Mini-Rex. I was at a rabbit show with my boyfriend and was looking around at the bunnies. I realized one couple were grooming and cutting all their rabbits nails but one; the 6 month old Otter Mini Rex now known as Oliver. I asked why and they told me he had a split penis and couldn't be shown. So Oliver was basically a misfit. They also told me he wasn't worth anything in the show field but could be a great pet. He would've been a caged rabbit most of his life until he found a home. Now he lives with me and is an extremely spoiled bunny!

1357bunnylover wrote:
Amanda what breed is your bunny buttercup? She looks a lot like my bunny! :)

She's everything and anything :biggrin:We really have no idea, we know her Mom was a full Lop since we rescued her Momma too, but I don't think she's a breed somuch as a total mix.

559308_4168492407086_325151503_n.jpg

Spyro was a breeder cull, destined for dog food. We know the woman and she contacted us through Facebook and mentioned we were his last option.

185829_1926619525640_7160609_n.jpg

Wallaby came from the same place as Spyro, although he was in rougher shape. He was living outside and he tipped over his water dish so it froze the bottom of his feet and his ears to the cage. His feet are back to normal but he does have a lot of scarring on his poor ears :(

205717_1894225871844_3351219_n.jpg

Ty was a Easter bunny that someone had for a while and got bored of. They called up a friend of ours and said if he wasn't picked up, he was being released in a local park. With how much Ty loves dogs, I can only imagine how long he would have lasted...

311551_4055960873868_167096925_n.jpg

Kokomo is another dump that came to us through a variety of people. She was a rabbit being kept in a hutch in a backyard for breeding before she was surrendered to the Humane Society. She was then adopted by a family but the owner got pregnant and she came to us. We adopted her out twice but she was returned for "aggression". So, she wound up sticking with us. She's as sweet as can be <3

We're at 52 photos! Come on guys I know there is over 52 buns on the forums...

Alright, you asked for it... I may have to split these up into separate posts. I plan on doing the rest of ours and the ones that we also have up for adoption or have adopted out. This is going to be a lot of buns...

46348_4447606624767_840532965_n.jpg

This is Flynn, a Holland Lop that I got from a friend of ours. She may not be a real rescue, but she sure is a lesson in what kind of commitment a bun owner needs. She has cost over $1,700 in vet bills due to a hip surgery. She's proof that big bills can pop up with no warning and hit you hard. But she has been totally worth it.

555659_4141579094270_965904966_n.jpg

Jabberwocky came from a breeder in Illinois. The only reason we went to a breeder for him and our other boy Peace is because they are a special breed (Belgian Hare) and we wanted one, but there are no rescue Belgian's to be found, mostly because their numbers are around 200 in the States right now, and we know of only a few in Canada.

165373_1812075382108_1873151_n.jpg

Peace, from the same breeder as Jabberwocky.

24507_1456312368255_1757251_n.jpg

Popcorn came from a friend, he's a fantastic bun with tons of spunk and personality. Unfortuanatly he only likes my Mom so I don't get to cuddle him often, but he's a very good rabbit.

406563_2807199455613_1174409477_n.jpg

Willow, our 7 1/2 year old boy. He was only our second rabbit when we really didn't know what we were doing and he unfortuanatly came from Petland. Funny story for him, though, since we actually got him free. We witnessed someone abusing the animals in a Petland chain and the staff did nothing to step up and stop them, so we called as high up in Petland as we could. To, I suppose, shut us up, they said if we ever saw anything in their stores that we ever wanted, we could have it free of charge. So, we got Willow. While at the time we didn't know much, we're very lucky to have him and thankfully he is doing very well in his coming on senior years.

29689_1425119104468_4422462_n.jpg

Star came from another friend. We seem to get a lot of bunnies from friends. He was from a litter she had.

24378_1346439257521_1863329_n.jpg

Frost, our first bunny who has unfortuanatly passed away, was a backyard breeder bunny and a big learning experience for us in the world of bunnies. Everything we are today with rabbits is owed to this beautiful girl.

Alright, and now into buns that we have rescued and either are rehoming, or have rehomed!

183953_4855676550235_1302140360_n.jpg

Casper, who is currently looking for a home, showed up with his sister from the lady we board our horses with. She was at a livestock auction when a guy showed up with 5 boxes of bunnies, 2 in each box, and left them there for people to pick over. These two were left and were going to be left in the building when they were picked up and brought to us.

522943_4536107237227_703502195_n.jpg

Nemo, Casper's sister, who is also looking for a home!

402882_4597041124511_1565984557_n.jpg

Lucy (Now Bunnita!) was adopted from us. She was a surrender from a lady that had her for a number of years and was moving so she could no longer take her with her. She is 5 1/2 years old.

544451_3821952707785_775450819_n.jpg

Daisy, a classic "got a pet for the kids and they got bored" case. She has since been adopted out and is now extremely spoiled!

375828_4320252440992_1583628639_n.jpg

Trixie was a surrender from a woman that had been pet sitting her for a friend, only for the friend to move and never come back for her.

269265_4153212589075_2127941946_n.jpg

Nermal was a surrender from a very irresponsible situation where rabbits were breeding uncontrollably in a house and they wanted to be rid of her. We got Nermal and contacted the Humane Society. The situation has since been taken care of, from what we understand.

539928_387713351308728_747337214_n.jpg

Tilly is one of our newer surrenders and is currently up for adoption. He came from a woman who was stuck with him when her son dumped him on her. Her son and his girlfriend wanted a "pretend baby" to raise to see how they could handle having a child together. We see how that turned out, considering he was dumped after a few months :(

63809_387533167993413_436003465_n.jpg

Denny and Cass are the newest surrenders, a bonded pair that lived in an older couples back yard. We took them in when we were called out of the blue one morning by a woman, she was threatening that if we didn't come pick them up, they would dump them. They were even considering taking them to Canmore so the problem would be taken care of. For those people who do not know, the situation in Canmore for feral rabbits is very bad, they are currently being gassed. So they were willing to have their rabbits captured and gassed rather then take care of them.

546923_387557544657642_2116510772_n.jpg

Ashton came from the same place as Spyro and Wallaby. He has been adopted and is living a very spoiled life.

302820_387557467990983_1976269287_n.jpg

Thumper, who is also Buttercup's mother! She has unfortuanatly passed away but was living with a very good family.

540366_4066459540303_1451254390_n.jpg

Nova came from a surrender from a neglectful situation. This pic is right after we picked him up and you can tell from his nails how little they cared for him :(

533837_387557254657671_1726887544_n.jpg

Muggle (Renamed Wall-E) was adopted out. Another case of people getting a pet store bun and getting rid of them when they just don't care anymore.

198232_387557114657685_682493421_n.jpg

Kit, along with another rabbit we got at the same time Kat, was actually from a neighbor of ours who had a boa constrictor. He tried feeding it live but it wouldn't eat the 3 week old bunnies, so he called me over to see if I wanted to take him. Her "brother" (We have no idea if they were related, of course) was sitting on the snakes head! They had gone days without food and were in rough shape. Luckily they pulled through well.

248947_387557074657689_889375758_n.jpg

Kat, Kit's "brother".

I have more if you want them!

Latest posts

Back