Bunny attitudes

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

briennap

Reaction score
Okay so I'll start by saying I have 2 female rabbits one spayed, one getting spayed this week. THEY are NOT bonded. I understand it's helpful for them to be spayed before trying to bond so that's what I'm doing. They are free roam but because of the bonding situation they aren't ever out together but they will lay outside each other's cages, kiss through the cage and NEVER fight through the cage. Now, these two aren't the problem I just wanted to explain this situation first.
Yesterday my boyfriend brought home another female unspayed rabbit from the pet store he works at as they were going to get rid of her and at the pet store she was a super sweet, calm and docile rabbit. Ever since he brought her home yesterday she has been thumping constantly pretty much (I don't know what's wrong with her or why she's so upset) and she also lunges and actually bites you if you go in her cage, which she never did living at the pet store! Btw she is not out with the other 2 females, they are in cages when this rabbit is out. But my girl I have that is already spayed tries fighting her and gets so upset when she's outside her cage. She doesn't even do this with the other rabbit I have who isn't spayed! So I'm confused as to why she tries to fight this one. Maybe because she's new? But i think it's weird the spayed one is the one trying to fight the unspayed female seems to be okay with her.
Does anyone have any insight as to why this pet store bun would develop an attitude since being home with us and why my spayed girl is trying so hard to fight her? I would love any answers please and thanks in advance!!

Your spayed girl is defending the intrusion into her territory. How dare this new female encroach on "her space." She may be ok with the one, but clearly not this newcomer. Even spayed females can be highly territorial.

The newcomer is likely scared at being thrust into a new home. This is quite upsetting to most rabbits and it takes time to settle down. Her having hormones intact won't help matters.

Also, whether spayed or not, any one rabbit will view different rabbits in a totally different way. She may hate one rabbit and be fine with another. They just are that way -- tolerate some rabbits, love another and hate another.

Bonding two spayed females is a good goal. Adding a third into the mix can complicate things exponentially.

The newcomer should be kept very separate (no seeing other bunnies) and left alone for at least a couple days to get used to her new home. A quiet darker safe space is ideal, and hopefully she will have a nice hidey hole. Don't rush her, maybe she will calm down. It's a big adjustment for the poor thing. Good luck!

So the new bun has calmed down and seems to be more comfortable. So the only problem I'm left with is the marking hahah.
My spayed girl seems to be marking more than any of them!! But atleast they seem to all be civil for the time being atleast. Thanks for the advice everyone!!

Latest posts

Back