Quantcast

Bunny ate an Altoid Mint! Urgent?

Help Support RabbitsOnline:

RatsAndRabbits0440

Reaction score
Hi guys, this is my first post but it’s urgent and I’m freaking out!
There was a mint on my nightstand, an Altoid in particular, and I remember earlier today that he was messing around up there and knocking stuff down even though he could barely reach it.

Anyways, I just remember like tonight that I had one there and of course, it’s not there anymore!
I feel so bad! He had some strawberry tops, a Brussels sprout, some Cilantro and a couple pieces of romaine lettuce just a few minutes ago and he had no issues, like normal.

He also had his hay his pellets although I don’t know if I’m supposed to give him pellets in this sort of situation, as I’ve heard otherwise.
Im scared. Is he going to be okay, or is this a vet/emergency vet type of situation? I think his stomach is making noises right now, which it usually does when he’s drinking water except right now he’s just laying down. ;(

Preitler

Loony bunny guy
Reaction score
I would feed him as usual, don't cut anything out. Just keep an eye on him if he's eating and pooping normally. I don't think one mint will cause problems.

That noise usually comes from some gas bubbling around, not a problem as long as it isn't too much and causes discomfort or bloat, a gentle tummy massage with your fingers can help if it causes any problems. And some Simethicone, that is in baby gas drops, about 20mg twice a day, to help pass the gas. I put the drops on a little oatmeal or pellets.

If he stopps eating, or pooping, ignores treats, gets lethargic or sits loafed up in a quite spot I would see a vet asap, but again, i don't think one mint has much potential for desaster :)

Allen Wrider

Reaction score
So, of course, every bunny's sensitivity to things like mints and candies can vary, but in my case, I fell asleep once and Quinley ate 3 large SweetTarts that I'd left in a package on my desk. I guess I forgot to secure the pen door properly. Anyway, in her case, she continued to eat, drink, and go to the bathroom as normal, so I think as long as you monitor your rabbit over the next couple days to ensure all habits are as usual, it shouldn't be a problem. If there is a change in behavior (hunched up, tooth grinding, irritable or protective of belly), you'll probably want to get to a vet asap. But unless your bunny stops eating or drinking, or stops pooping and peeing as normal, you're good.

Latest posts