Bunny ate a lot of pellets and alfalfa?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zephyre

Reaction score
My 2 y.o. bun is an outside rabbit and last night we had a really windy night. It knocked over the alfalfa box and the bag of pellets and I guess she had the night of her life eating as much as she could.
She normally gets only a few pellets every day (around 10g I guess) and a handful of alfalfa a few times a week. She ate A LOT last night. About 40g of pellets and I can't really tell with the alfalfa. She didn't touch the normal grass hay she had.
Now she doesn't want to eat the grass hay and the poops she made last night are small. She also seems a little sleepy but overall not uncomfortable.

Is there anything I should do other than waiting? I am worried about the crazy bender she had lol.

Oh man, she had quite the feast! She definitely could be having an upset stomach. Keep an eye on her and I wouldn't give her any pellets for the time being. Give her plenty of Timothy or Orchard hay so her stomach works through the buffet she had. If you start noticing that she's not pooping or eating, you can give simethicone to help her stomach start moving more or give tummy massages. If nothing improves, definitely seek help from a rabbit savvy vet.

In addition to what @Mehidk said, make sure she is getting plenty of water. Also, since she is 2 years old, she really shouldn't be having alfalfa due to high calcium content. Instead, she should be having timothy hay.

She only made a coupe really small poops in the last 6 hours so I gave her some simethicone. I hope it will do the trick. She is also not really eating, I could only get her to eat 3 bits of parsley. Now I am trying to convince her to run around hoping she will work out an appetite. Still no signs of pain or anything.

I know alfalfa is not okay for older rabbits, but I thought it was about the quantity, and we didn't feed her a lot. 90% of what she eats in a normal day is alpine hay, with around 5 pellets and some greens (parsley, dill, carrot tops, dandelion, etc) and maybe an apple branch. Should we stop the alfalfa altogether in the future?

In addition to what @Mehidk said, make sure she is getting plenty of water. Also, since she is 2 years old, she really shouldn't be having alfalfa due to high calcium content. Instead, she should be having timothy hay.
For any kind of digestive issues I feed my bunnies Oxbow Critical Care with a syringe, this will help clear their digestive system.

She only made a coupe really small poops in the last 6 hours so I gave her some simethicone. I hope it will do the trick. She is also not really eating, I could only get her to eat 3 bits of parsley. Now I am trying to convince her to run around hoping she will work out an appetite. Still no signs of pain or anything.

I know alfalfa is not okay for older rabbits, but I thought it was about the quantity, and we didn't feed her a lot. 90% of what she eats in a normal day is alpine hay, with around 5 pellets and some greens (parsley, dill, carrot tops, dandelion, etc) and maybe an apple branch. Should we stop the alfalfa altogether in the future?
Start making her move around because otherwise she could go into GI stasis if she doesn't start pooping and eating normally. Rabbits are very good at hiding illness but generally the first sign is not eating and pooping.

I've never used alpine hay. Would you be able to switch her over to Timothy, Orchard or Meadow or even a combo of them? Rotate other leafy vegetables into her diet in (slowly of course) such as romaine lettuce, cilantro, bok choy, or even argula. Dandelions and parsley are higher in calcium and if fed too often, it can cause urine issues/bladder sludge so that's why it's better to rotate them (one week on, one week off).

Here's a list that I refer to when I go to the store for my rabbit:
https://rabbit.org/suggested-vegetables-and-fruits-for-a-rabbit-diet/

Any kind of grass hay is fine as long as it is well tolerated, consumed well by the rabbit, and provides the needed roughage for good digestive movement.
If you are only feeding a very small amount of alfalfa and your rabbit doesn't have urinary calcium build up or kidney issues, then I would think a very tiny amount should be fine. Think of small treat size.

Latest posts

Back