bunny acting strangely after vet visit

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powder Puff

Reaction score
I brought Puff to the vet as I noticed that her nailbeds were red and scaly. Vet told me she had scabies and gave her a dose of Revolution. She was really scared (an understatement) at the vet (that was last Saturday), thumping and attempting to get away. It has been 6 days since the visit. She is still unusually quiet and prefers to lie around. She used to come running for treats when I pass her cage in the morning, but hasnt done that all week. Yesterday she was with her head pressed flat on the ground, chin down, looking really forlorn. I hate it when she does that. It makes me feel so sad!

Since yesterday, I have also noticed a decrease in poop size. Today she's not eating much and has not touched her pellets at all. She's still eating her treats though, and quickly gobbled a piece of honeydew melon. Hay is almost untouched too unless I feed it to her. Then again, she hasnt been a big hay eater.

I am planning to go get some papaya enzyme tablets, hopefully it will help in her pooping. She isnt a big fan of hay. How do i get her to eat more?? I notice that she only likes the leafy bits too... what do you call that? 1st cut hay? Everyday i have to throw so much of uneaten hay away.

How long does Revolution take to work? The vet prescribed antihistamine and I've been feeding it to her. Not much scratching, but today she has started again. Is it normal for more crust (at the edge of her ears) to appear during the course of treatment? It is freaking me out as it did not seem as bad when i first brought her in for treatment. The vet did say to expect some hair loss at the area where Revolution was applied, and i read somewhere that the condition may seem to worsen soon after the treatment but will clear up. I just need assurance that it is normal. Seems like there's a bit of crust on her nose too when there used to be none. Her nailbeds seem to be recovering better though.

The vet gave me saline solution and Baneocin ointment to clean and apply on affected areas, but she hates it when i do that. i have been unable to clean and apply the ointment anywhere else except her ears. am i slowing down the recovery process by not applying the ointment?

Sorry for the long post. Her lethargy is freaking me out. I dont know what's wrong with her. I am trying to avoid bringing her to the vet again as the first visit was a huge trauma for both myself and her. Also, im travelling beginning june and hope that she will recover fully by then.

I am not experienced in any of your situation but what I would do is research online the different medications being given to your bun. Mostly I would be looking for info on side affects. Possibly one of the medications is causing side affects that cause her not to feel like eating.

I know you can find all such info online for human meds. If you can't find it for the bun meds then I would place a call to the vet and explain you don't want to put her through the trauma of another vet visit but you have questions concerning her health. I would think a good vet would talk with you.

Part of her change of behavior is her being mad at you for taking her to the vets. Honey did that for nearly a week after her 1st visit, which was only a checkup & nail trim.

I'm sorry I don't know about the medical parts, except it sounds like you should bee the vet again, or at least ask questions on the phone.

Good news to share - her ears are getting alot better! Almost all the crust has fallen out and she has started eating again. Poop size is still smaller than usual though, but has not decreased in quantity. She has also become more active. Hardly any binkies though. :(

In other news, i think she may be a he instead! caught size of something pinkish on the underside, just one though!!

I have never used an antihistamine on my bun but am thinking thatantihistmanines have a sedating effect on people and may be affecting both her GI tract and behavior . What is the name of the drug?

Latest posts

Back