Bunny acting strange

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Srunicorn69

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm brand new here and I've been trying to find answers all over the place and I was wondering if anyone can help me?
My mini rex 10 month bunny had to go to the vets as he stopped eating. Turns out his back teeth don't align and he had sharp teeth sticking into his tongue.
Sedation and filed teeth later, he came home 2 days ago. He seemed much happier and back to normal, although still not eating. This morning I came to him to find him absolutely wet through lying on his floor and he wasn't himself. He seemed so limp and lifeless. We took him to an emergency vet where he was checked over for weight, heartbeat and to see how his teeth look. He was given the all clear but sent away having just had 2 injections. Pain relief and something to kick start his system again(?) Anyway, we got him back home about 4 hours ago and since then he's done nothing but dip his front feet in his bowl, pull them out, lick them, put them in there again and try and lie in his bowl! Everytime he licks his feet, he looks so lifeless, face down to the ground. Over and over he's still dipping his feet, licking them and lying down in the puddle he's creating. He's almost obsessed with it. He hasn't eaten at all since he's been back. He won't move away from this dish of his. Please help!
Thank you :)
Sue

I've just removed his water bowl as he has a drinker on the side he's always had. Now he still wants to lie flat out where the water was and he's licking the floor. Please help. He's still not eating.

I would take him back to the vet if he hasn't improved. :pray:

Is he still pooping?

No. He's still not pooped since the vets the other day. The vet told me to call back tomorrow if he hasn't improved. He's brighter than he was, but not eating and this weird weird thing he keeps doing with his water bowl makes me think something else is wrong?

If he hasn't pooped in that long, I'd treat this as an emergency. He could be in GI stasis or have a blockage. I'd get him back to the vet, asap.

:pray: Sending good thoughts.

I think your rabbit needs to go back to the vet immediately, may need to be admitted and get an IV and have further testing done. Preferably a good rabbit vet if yours isn't. The emergency vet really should have admitted your rabbit in the first place, given fluids, and possibly done more tests to determine what was going on.
http://rabbit.org/vet-listings/
http://www.rabbitsonline.net/forumdisplay.php?f=21

Rabbits will often exhibit odd changes of behavior when they are sick and in pain. After a dental, it can sometimes take a while for some rabbits to recover from the GA. If your rabbit wasn't eating after the dental, were you syringe feeding?

Thank you guys. I'm convinced he should've been admitted too. Maybe that's why he's being odd because he's in pain?
The vet checked him over and felt his stomach but it's obviously something.
We didn't syringe feed him. He was left in overnight and they fed him before he was released but they didn't tell us to syringe feed him. I wouldn't even know what to syringe feed him?
So so worried. I'm making sure he's admitted this time. Thing is, he's not himself at home but when he's at the vets, he perks up? They don't see his strange behaviour.
Definitely calling again. Thank you for those links.

If he wasn't eating for two days after his dental, and you weren't syringe feeding, if he also wasn't drinking then it is likely he got dehydrated. And from not eating he would develop GI stasis, which can cause an intestinal blockage to occur, is very painful for them, and can prove fatal if not corrected right away. And this could very well be the reason for his current odd behavior and lethargy. It's a very serious situation in rabbits, so I hope you are able to get him to the vet right away.
http://rabbit.org/gastrointestinal-stasis-the-silent-killer-2/

It's common for a rabbit to behave differently at the vet, as they are nervous and stressed. You need to ensure the vet understands he is acting completely different at home, and that he is lethargic, behaving strangely, and that he is not eating on his own. He will likely need to be given IV or sub q fluids, he needs to be checked for a blockage before he is fed anything, so he may need xrays, then he needs to be fed(and they need to show you how to syringe feed and give you the feeding powder). A common syringe feeding mix is Oxbow critical care(soaked and mushed pellets can be used in a pinch), and most rabbit vets should have it on hand. If they can get your bun hydrated and eating, you may be able to bring him home. You will need them to give you a pain reliever to give at home(usually metacam), possibly a gut stimulant, and the powdered feeding mix(given at least every 4 hours). You need to keep a close eye on him and watch for any deterioration, and also watch for when he starts pooping.

I also would be having serious words with your vet that did the dental and asking them why they didn't inform you about needing to possibly syringe feed your rabbit. I would also not be going back there otherwise, and would be looking for a new vet.

Thank you so much for all of your help. You guys were right, he was dehydrated and starving because they hadn't told me to syringe feed him. (I feel so bad) To try and save him, I mushed down some of his pellets with warm water and syringe fed him every 3-4 hours. 2 days later and he's back to his normal self. He's also eating some greens now too! As well as drinking out of his water bottle. We called the original vet who admitted him for his teeth and she told us that we were doing the right thing in syringe feeding him and to take him back if he doesn't start feeding himself. Hurray! I've got my Joey back! :D
I can't thank everyone enough for your support and help! :)
He's happy and on the road to recovery! :brown-bunny :yahoo:

Glad he's ok and what was wrong is all sorted out. Certainly a big misstep on the vets part for not explaining possible eating complications after a dental.

Latest posts

Back