bunns with rats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saudade wrote:
SweetSassy wrote:
Saudade wrote:
やれやれ

Both of you have been putting words in my mouth, I never said that rats bite constantly, nor did I say they are covered in diseases. What is wrong with you two seriously? You've both acted like complete fools jumping the gun and making assumptions.

I understand that people do think of rats badly, but it is no reason to act like you have.

*edit*
**You both completely missed the point of my post that rats should not be kept with rabbits.
You like getting people going, then sit back and watch. Seen you do it more than once! ;)
Firstly that has nothing to do with the topic, if you have a problem with me take it to PM. Posting it in a topic that is dead you're just acting like a tool.
Secondly, maybe unlike you (I don't know) I don't have time to finish ever single little debate that is started on the internet, I have other things to do, like you know, study for major exams, getting my needed 8 hours of sleep, or you know actually having a social life. So I'm sorry if I don't have the time to sit around all day replying to every single little post that references something I've said.

Like I said if you don't like something I've done send me a PM, instead of posting it in a Thread that has nothing to do with it.
No problem. I can dothat.:)

Saudade wrote:
SweetSassy wrote:
Saudade wrote:
やれやれ

Both of you have been putting words in my mouth, I never said that rats bite constantly, nor did I say they are covered in diseases. What is wrong with you two seriously? You've both acted like complete fools jumping the gun and making assumptions.

I understand that people do think of rats badly, but it is no reason to act like you have.

*edit*
**You both completely missed the point of my post that rats should not be kept with rabbits.
You like getting people going, then sit back and watch. Seen you do it more than once! ;)
Firstly that has nothing to do with the topic, if you have a problem with me take it to PM. Posting it in a topic that is dead you're just acting like a tool.
Secondly, maybe unlike you (I don't know) I don't have time to finish ever single little debate that is started on the internet, I have other things to do, like you know, study for major exams, getting my needed 8 hours of sleep, or you know actually having a social life. So I'm sorry if I don't have the time to sit around all day replying to every single little post that references something I've said.

Like I said if you don't like something I've done send me a PM, instead of posting it in a Thread that has nothing to do with it.

I'm sorry to say, at this point April is right.

Sorry just thought I should post my two cents.

Also what "social" life, you used to complain about how no one liked you& life was so terrible. Sorry but it is true :twitch:

Wow Dave, you really are in a mood. I don't know why you feel it okay for you to say things about others and nothing be said to you ever. You seem to feel it is perfectly okay to embarass others and bash them in public but don't like the same happening to you. Calling names is ALWAYS wrong.
You've both acted like complete fools jumping the gun and making assumptions.
I am pretty sure this should be taken to PM's also if what April said should have. Again this is -in YOUR opinion.

JadeIcing wrote:
MrChelle wrote:
I wouldnt have them like in the same cage, but they would both be in the basement. And my bun is an escape artist to the max (jumps out of his pen 2 NIC panels high) so he usually has free run of the basement for part of the day. I just dont want to have unnecessary stress for the bun, or for the rats. It would be nice to eventually get it to where they could all 3 be out at the same time, supervised of course, and be alright.

The questions asked have been aswered. Yes they can be kept in the same room but playtime at the same time is not advised.

I would like to remind people that the point of this topic was not "lets see how much we can bash each other" but instead-- about keeping rats& rabbits in the same room and if the two species can play together.

Thank you everyone who helped with information.

I want to add this reminder about forum policies.

Unacceptable Behavior (Subject to Warnings):

- name calling

- ridiculing of another's opinion

- failure to 'agree to disagree'

- the posting of obviously inflammatory topics (eg: rabbit meat, breeder vs. animal rights attacks)

- overly abrasive or negative posts on any topic

- personal vendettas

- 'advertising' or linking other forums or commercial ventures in posts (see Content Rules for advertising policies).

Behavior Subject to Immediate Banning:

- the posting of 'adult' material on the site

- the use of extreme profanity

- spam-style advertising

- the posting of personal information about another member or moderator without their permission

- ignoring repeated warnings (as above)

http://www.rabbitsonline.net/view_topic.php?id=11860&forum_id=14

Ah - a familiar disease from my summer microbiology class. ;)

Murine (endemic)typhus is a mycobacterium (Rickettsia typhi)carried by fleas (or lice)most commonly on wild rats - it's not transmitted by rat bites. Most cases are reported in southern states, and in the US humans are most at risk from domestic cats/dogs carrying the fleas. In the early 1900's, this disease killed over 3 million in Europe, however, there are now generally less than 100 cases reported per year in the US. This disease is not related to typhoid fever.

In this case, everyone has a valid point. Murine typhus does exist, but the risk is relatively low if proper flea control is being used.

Here's an article from last fall about an outbreak in Texas http://www.dailytexanonline.com/state-local/four-suspected-typhus-cases-reported-in-aug-1.1102991

Pam

[QUOTE="MrChelle, post:Okay, so I'll get attacked for this but I don't care, it was SOO worth the experience, I bought my first rabbit today, a mini Holland lop. And while trying to clean my rats cage, and get it situated stacked on top of bunnies cage and zip tied in place, I let the bunny out and the rats out to run and free roam. My most confident rat, princess, ran right up to the rabbit and started GROOMING him. Like bruh 😭😭😭 it was pretty cute watching them interact. The bunny wasn't as hyper as the rats,, but the rats LOVED the bunny they were full of rat zoomies . Not once did anyone interact negatively towards another. Will I be leaving them unattended together ? Deffinetly not, but do I feel comfortable letting all of them roam while under supervision. Absolutely. They got along perfect. Bunny seemed pretty happy too, deffinetly helped him come out of his shell a little bit.

My brother has 2 rats, but my mom is making him get rid of them. So he wants to give them to me. But I have my bun, as well as a dog and a cat. Can rabbits get along with rats, or is that a big no no?

I wouldnt have them like in the same cage, but they would both be in the basement. And my bun is an escape artist to the max (jumps out of his pen 2 NIC panels high) so he usually has free run of the basement for part of the day. I just dont want to have unnecessary stress for the bun, or for the rats. It would be nice to eventually get it to where they could all 3 be out at the same time, supervised of course, and be alright.

Im just not sure if its possible. The rats seem friendly enough, and my BJ is super chill/nice.

Anyone here have rats as well as bunnys? I could use your insight.
Thanks much :)
I have bunny's and rats haven't given them play time yet but have been planning to try it.

Latest posts

Back