bunns with rats?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrChelle

Reaction score
My brother has 2 rats, but my mom is making him get rid of them. So he wants to give them to me. But I have my bun, as well as a dog and a cat. Can rabbits get along with rats, or is that a big no no?

I wouldnt have them like in the same cage, but they would both be in the basement. And my bun is an escape artist to the max (jumps out of his pen 2 NIC panels high) so he usually has free run of the basement for part of the day. I just dont want to have unnecessary stress for the bun, or for the rats. It would be nice to eventually get it to where they could all 3 be out at the same time, supervised of course, and be alright.

Im just not sure if its possible. The rats seem friendly enough, and my BJ is super chill/nice.

Anyone here have rats as well as bunnys? I could use your insight.
Thanks much :)

I think that they should be ok in the same room, but I would not let them interact. There are a few users here who have rats and buns.

Putting a top on the cage should prevent him for escaping. If that's not possible, adding another panel (so it's 3 high) could help.

You can have rats and rabbits in the same room....I do! I have a free-range bunny who likes to sit by the rat cage and watch the rats run around and eat.

I, however, would not let them interact together. My free-range bunny has to be locked up when the rats come out to play. He HATES it so much that one day he broke lose from the cube panel barrier. Well...let's just say there was about 5 rats chasing him around the room. The rats were actually pulling his fur out. Rats are so playful...that they think it is a game!! CHASE DA BUNNAAAAY!!!

I now have to be extra careful and make sure my barrier is strong. A quick kick from a rabbit can really injure a rattie.

Saudade wrote:
Not to mention that rats can transmit Murine Leprosy through their bites.
I am looking online and I have not seen anywhere how this applies to rats? I have also never heard of this before. Do you have a link to what this is?

Many people have had severe bites from pet rat with no issues besides possible shock and lost feeling in said area due to nerve damage.

ETA: I did just find this (the only thing relating to "leprosy" that wasn't in scientific form)....and I don't see how it relates to rats?

http://stanford.wellsphere.com/men-...osy-still-an-active-disease-in-the-u-s/536801

Saudade wrote:
Not to mention that rats can transmit Murine Leprosy through their bites.

Generally, only wild rats carry that, at least that is what I have been taught.

Anyway, my bunnies lunged/grunted at my rat. They were fine in the same room, but could never be out together. Also, my rat would occasionally stick his head through the rabbit pen and the rabbits did not like that.

You're looking for the wrong form of leprosy, Murine leprosy also known as feline leprosy, or 'Mycobacterium lepraemurium'.

This is apparently rare and honestly...I don't think it is anything to worry about. Pet rats are rarely biters. I have only been bit by 1 foster rat in the 3 years that I have owned rats...and he was a known biter due to an unknown history. Hamsters are more prone to bite then rats.

Actually it's pretty common in animals that are regularly around rats, having rats together with rabbits is not a good idea, in the same room is okay but living together is not a good idea.

Though since you haven't heard of it I wonder how you can make such a general statement about it's infectiousness?

Oh dear, oh dear, is this seriously going to turn into a "rats are disease carrying vermin" thing? Most rats, both pet and wild, do not carry diseases that are transferable. Viruses are typically species specific, and the ones that can be transfered through species are rare. Unless the rats in question have been living in sewers in a city with very poor hygiene, they're more than likely disease free.

I think you should take them in :) Ratties are wonderful pets. I have four that I absolutely adore. I agree with undergunfire that they should not interact. Rats rarely bite(they do test "nibble" though when they encounter something new), but when they do, it HURTS. (ETA: I have shelter rats who came to me very unsocialized, and it took a while to gain their trust. Since the rats you'd be getting are from a home setting, you shouldn't experience any of the occasional biting issues I did at first) You wouldn't want a scared rat to bite your bun, nor would you want your bun to get scared and kick your rats--possibly killing them.

I don't have a rabbit yet, but when I do my rats will never come in to contact with her. I may hold her a foot or so from the cage for them to smell her, but that is as close is they will ever get :)

Saudade wrote:
Actually it's pretty common in animals that are regularly around rats, having rats together with rabbits is not a good idea, in the same room is okay but living together is not a good idea.

Though since you haven't heard of it I wonder how you can make such a general statement about it's infectiousness?
The reason why I can comment on it's infectiousness is because I have been around rats for 3 years, only haven been bitten by 1, and have had MANY rats come through my doors as I rescued & rehomed for a while. Also...I have handled MANY rats in pet stores, other peoples houses, etc....and have still only been bitten once. The point....rats rarely bite...so I see this "illness" as being pretty rare from a rat bite.

Also...my rats play while my cat is sleeping on the animal room floor. Never once have my rats offered to bite him.

I see rats are more "people-like". They would rather use their hands in events then their teeth. This being said...yes, I myself and my other pets, have been PUNCHED and SLAPPED by pet rats.

Simply_Love wrote:
Oh dear, oh dear, is this seriously going to turn into a "rats are disease carrying vermin" thing? Most rats, both pet and wild, do not carry diseases that are transferable. Viruses are typically species specific, and the ones that can be transfered through species are rare. Unless the rats in question have been living in sewers in a city with very poor hygiene, they're more than likely disease free.
やれやれ, not all diseases are caused by viruses you know? In fact most diseases are caused by bacteria. All animals carry massive amounts of bacteria, that's why any bite from any animal must be treated with extreme caution. The mouth of a rat has hundreds of thousands of bacteria in it, all potentially able to infect a wound caused by a rat.

A small rat bite can be almost unnoticeable and can cause infection quickly.

And undergunfire your experience as a human handling rats is completely irrelevant to this. You're talking about human-rat interaction, Mycobacterium lepraemurium very rarely infects humans, your bites are completely different to the bites that a rabbit may suffer.

Saudade wrote:
Simply_Love wrote:
やれやれ, not all diseases are caused by viruses you know? In fact most diseases are caused by bacteria. All animals carry massive amounts of bacteria, that's why any bite from any animal must be treated with extreme caution. The mouth of a rat has hundreds of thousands of bacteria in it, all potentially able to infect a wound caused by a rat.

And undergunfire your experience as a human handling rats is completely irrelevant to this. You're talking about human-rat interaction, Mycobacterium lepraemurium very rarely infects humans, your bites are completely different to the bites that a rabbit may suffer.

Any bite from any animal (to a human or another animal) can cause infection, which is obvious. I wouldn't entirely pick on rats....cats have been known to kill rabbits from bites or even scratches.

The reason why all of this is not a big deal is because rats shouldn't be allowed to interact with other small animal species such as mice, rabbits, guinea pigs.....hence the reason why I don't see that this illness/virus/whatever is a big deal. As I said before...rats use their hands more then their teeth. For rats, I find the teeth are the last straw. This is all as long as the owner follows this rule. If you have a clueless owner...then you will possibly have issues.

Saudade wrote:
Simply_Love wrote:

Yes, I do know not all diseases are caused by viruses :) And yes, ALL animals mouths have massive amounts of bacteria in them. I know a lady who works with preschoolers. One day a little girl had a tantrum and bit her on the arm. Now, this lady is very involved with animal rescue, and has been seriously bitten dozens of times by dogs, cats, rats, ect., and the bit from the little girl was the worst of them all. It turned colors in a few days, and she had to be put on antibiotics. That never happened to her with any other animal. Does that mean we should treat each and every preschooler as if they are carrying a deadly disease? No, because I'm pretty sure parents would have a major issue with it and sue. Rat owners are going to get peeved as well if someone comes in saying," all rats carry blah blah blah, and they're going to bite everyone and infect them."

Do you even have any first hand experience with rats? Where is your proof that rats bite frequently? Rat's are more likely to run away when scared, unless they're cornered, and like undergunfire said, rats tend to push and kick to get away, and only use their teeth as a last resort. It is very, very, very unlikely her rabbit would contract a disease from these rats.

やれやれ

Both of you have been putting words in my mouth, I never said that rats bite constantly, nor did I say they are covered in diseases. What is wrong with you two seriously? You've both acted like complete fools jumping the gun and making assumptions.

I understand that people do think of rats badly, but it is no reason to act like you have.

*edit*
You both completely missed the point of my post that rats should not be kept with rabbits.

MrChelle wrote:
I wouldnt have them like in the same cage, but they would both be in the basement.  And my bun is an escape artist to the max (jumps out of his pen 2 NIC panels high) so he usually has free run of the basement for part of the day.  I just dont want to have unnecessary stress for the bun, or for the rats.  It would be nice to eventually get it to where they could all 3 be out at the same time, supervised of course, and be alright. 

The questions asked have been aswered. Yes they can be kept in the same room but playtime at the same time is not advised.

I havent read everything written here as i decided to jump to the bottom to write what i have to say..
I think if you want to take them in, then go for it. As long as they are not interacting together then they should be perfectly fine.
Like i have seen undergunfire say, rats rarely bite (i have two rats currently and have handled many others and have never been bitten) although i have been taste tested, in which it doesnt even hurt or bite the skin; my finger is just put in their mouth to see if it is food, but they have still never bit me.
I have shown the rat to my rabbit and infact is was actually Evie(my rabbit) who lunged at Baby(the rat) which shows me they can never interact as i dont know what Evie would do. Once though i found Baby in Evies cage when she escaped and i dont think Evie even noticed.

So pretty much, i think you should go for it! Rats are amazing pets :) and as long as you can handle having two different animals (rats and rabbits) that need playtime seperatly then you should be fine.
Good luck! :)

Saudade wrote:
やれやれ

Both of you have been putting words in my mouth, I never said that rats bite constantly, nor did I say they are covered in diseases. What is wrong with you two seriously? You've both acted like complete fools jumping the gun and making assumptions.

I understand that people do think of rats badly, but it is no reason to act like you have.

*edit*
**You both completely missed the point of my post that rats should not be kept with rabbits.
You like getting people going, then sit back and watch. Seen you do it more than once! ;)

SweetSassy wrote:
Saudade wrote:
やれやれ

*edit*
**You both completely missed the point of my post that rats should not be kept with rabbits.
You like getting people going, then sit back and watch. Seen you do it more than once! ;)
Firstly that has nothing to do with the topic, if you have a problem with me take it to PM. Posting it in a topic that is dead you're just acting like a tool.
Secondly, maybe unlike you (I don't know) I don't have time to finish ever single little debate that is started on the internet, I have other things to do, like you know, study for major exams, getting my needed 8 hours of sleep, or you know actually having a social life. So I'm sorry if I don't have the time to sit around all day replying to every single little post that references something I've said.

Like I said if you don't like something I've done send me a PM, instead of posting it in a Thread that has nothing to do with it.

Latest posts

Back