Bunnies.... One or Two?!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kstep

Reaction score
I am searching for a pet bunny for my children. I read online that they do better with a friend, but I cannot afford to neuter 2 rabbits right after I get them. Should I just get one, or will two sisters live peacefully together? Thanks!

Hi, I would try your local rescues they usually have already fixed rabbits for adoption and sometimes already bonded pairs.

If you get two sisters or two brothers (they usually sell 8 week old rabbits in petstores) they will stay best buddies for a few weeks and will be very sweet, then sometime between 3-6 months they enter into their teenage phase and two hormonal females can become very territorial and start fighting for dominance. Same with boys.

Also at 8 weeks it is not rare that two sisters from petstore have babies after a few months, since they are still very small and often mis sexed.

Not trying to scare you but you will need to separate them when they become hormonal and keep separately until they are both neutered/spayed and 6-8 weeks after that, then you can try bonding them. It is not always easy.

It is not impossible but in your situation would be easier to get already fixed bonded pair from a shelter. Male and female both fixed would be best combination.

You can also ask maybe you want to foster instead of buying. Kids often losing interest in bunnies after a few months and they will need to be rehomed.

Last edited:
I would definitely go the route of adopting a pre-bonded fixed pair... both rabbits being fixed is extremely important, especially for a first-time rabbit owner!

Although, if I'm completely honest, I might discourage you from getting a rabbit for kids, that fact certainly depending on the kids. If they really want a rabbit and are willing to put the work in it might be okay, but rabbits are realistically better family pets. I certainly would be hesitant to recommend to kids under the age of ten...

I was that age when I first got a rabbit, after years of asking, and I had to fulfill a very specific checklist (read 3 rabbit books cover to cover, make a PowerPoint presentation on costs and care, build a suitable hutch under my dad's supervision, have the allowance saving set aside for the things my rabbit needed, and find an adult female rabbit with a good temperament that came from a place that would continue to answer any questions throughout the rabbit's life.)

Before making the leap, be sure that all parties are invested! Rabbits are very poor first-time pets that can end in a great deal of heartbreak. Best of luck!

I totally agree with the others that starting with an already fixed rabbit (or pair) is the best way to go. Kids are very likely to lose interest in a hormonal rabbit -- that sweet baby can turn grumpy, aggressive, growling, biting and even spraying urine!! You get to skip all that (and save the high neuter costs) by going with an already fixed rabbit(s).

Here's a page from my website that talks about choosing a first rabbit:
https://rabbitsindoors.weebly.com/choosing-your-first-bunny.html
I had rabbits when my kids were young, but they were 'my' rabbits that I took care of. If your kids are young, it's a good idea to consider larger breed rabbits. Larger ones are less likely to be picked up by kids and so are less likely to be injured.

Tessah on here looks like a gem of a family rabbit! Big, kind, and polite!

https://www.ohare.org/
A beauty!

This first one on the same page looks a bit like Mariam's rabbit to me, very similar :)

@https://www.rabbitsonline.net/members/mariam-theo.24999/

Mariam+Theo
24999.jpg

rabbit-like-theo.jpg

I am searching for a pet bunny for my children. I read online that they do better with a friend, but I cannot afford to neuter 2 rabbits right after I get them. Should I just get one, or will two sisters live peacefully together? Thanks!
As everyone said adopting a pair of already neutered and spayed rabbits will be best.
Do you plan on keeping your rabbit indoors or outdoors?
If indoors, one single bunny is usually fine as they will get loads of attention from the family and household members (although many people do choose to get a second rabbit after a while).
But if you want to keep it outdoors, a pair or more would be best, as they will be by themselves longer than an indoor rabbit would.

Latest posts

Back