Bunnies like to eat Christmas trees

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What kind of tree is ok for bunnies to chew on?

• Firs are fine, they are different from pine.

• NONE!!! Bunnies should not eat trees at all. Block it off or put on a table!

• All trees are fine for the occasional nibble.

• Only artificial trees.

Results are only viewable after voting.

tonyshuman

Reaction score
[align=left]I know I'm wondering, since I forgot from last year. Can bunnies nibble a little on the Christmas tree? I thought any fir was safe, but since we try so hard to keep our guys away from pine shavings and toys, it just seems counter-intuitive this year. What is the official rule on Christmas trees?
[/align]

We always get "noble fir" and that seems to be fine. I think most christmas trees should be ok, except maybe for some of the more unusual kinds.
I think yews are definitely toxic, and pines too if they have lots of sap oozing out. I wouldn't let a bunny get near the sap. I'm not sure about cypress or juniper, I'll have to look those up. Spruces can have very sharp needles, so I probably would keep buns away from those too.
Of course you ALWAYS have to make sure to get UNTREATED trees! The chemicals used to treet trees, either as fire retardants or for flocking, are definitely toxic.

I voted the first one because I really don't know! We have a real tree, a fresia, or something I think? But it's on a little table out of reach.... Because I have no idea I just thought better to be safe than sorry :)

Interested to know what others say though!

I have an artificial tree, and I just make sure that the buns are supervised when they are out and near the tree. We tend to have to guard the presents more than we have to guard the tree ;)

All yew contains taxol, which is used to fight cancer bc it is really good at killing living cells.
NO yews! Or any related species :)

BTW< the lightbulbs can be worse than the tree for my guys, tho...

Latest posts

Back