Bunnies home alone?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy1234

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I wanted the opinion of some 'bunny people' on this matter. I have had a rabbit for about 4 years and I have never been away from her for more than a night. My family is planning a week-long vacation, and I'm wondering what to do with her!

I have someone that could look in on her about once every day or two so she could stay at home. Is this enough? I'm worried because if she were to get sick, rabbits can go downhill so quickly. My other option is to board her, but I worry that she would be terrified!

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks!

Hi Everyone,

I wanted the opinion of some 'bunny people' on this matter. I have had a rabbit for about 4 years and I have never been away from her for more than a night. My family is planning a week-long vacation, and I'm wondering what to do with her!

I have someone that could look in on her about once every day or two so she could stay at home. Is this enough? I'm worried because if she were to get sick, rabbits can go downhill so quickly. My other option is to board her, but I worry that she would be terrified!

Any suggestions/advice?

Thanks!
Hi, if you have someone who can visit her every day or every other day I would say it would be better than boarding.

Firstly, she is in her own place, new place with new people and more animals around can be stressful. Just leave everything ready for her with full instructions and she will be alright. It is important that she has hay and water all the time, if they come every other day it is best not to leave too much pellets as some rabbits would eat until they are gone and that can cause blockage.

Just make sure she has two drinking bottles just in case and make sure she can't open her enclosure or her cage. No free-roaming for that week, she will be fine.

If you use wood pellets or other good absorbing litter for her toilet one week she'll be fine as well.

I would actually suggest boarding the rabbit. I have done this personally. Rabbits, while they do get stressed easily, they will adjust to the new environment. This will last a few minutes, while for the rest of the week you will know someone is housing her and monitoring her. Think about the rabbit being alone, hearing sounds inside and noises outside with no-one to reassure her she is fine. She has been with you everyday for so long, and now just leaving her alone with someone popping in once in a while is going to be even more difficult. One or two days is fine, but won't you feel worried, instead of enjoying your holiday? If you cant afford it it's understandable. But if you can afford it, find a place or person to keep her at a reasonable price. They will give her supervised time to play as well. Ask if its possible that they send you updates and images. I do not disagree with Zuppa or anyone's opinion, this is just from my own experience. I was out of the country for 10 days once, and boarded them at a bunny shelter/farm. I hope all goes well with whatever choice you make!

Last edited:
I would say it will all depend on your bunny personality and if your bunny is vaccinated.

Some bunnies will get really stressed when moving around and meeting new people. A week sometimes won’t be enough to settle down while others won’t be stressed. A stressed bunny will have a larger chance to get health issues and problems.

If I go away a week and can’t take my bunnies with me, I leave them at home and let people take care of them. Before I didn’t live at home most of my trips I took my bunny with me.

If it’s longer I’ll try to find a way that I can board my bunnies but I will make sure all my bunnies is vaccinated.

Myself house bunnies outdoors, the company they get are nearly the same as if I go away. Their routine will be the same and as long the people just fill up hay and meassure the pellets, stomach problems rarely happens. If you still worry a few days with a hay diet won’t be dangerous.

It will all come down to how well you know your bunny. For me I would only worry for one of my rabbits if I would boarder him because he have traumas and get easily scared. Boarding him would be stressful and can trigger him to become aggressive again.

So I would say a week aren’t long and if you have a really stressful bunny, let her stay at home ☺️ You seem to have a good set up.

I would never leave a bunny for more than 12 hours. You need someone to house sit or at least check twice a day. Or bring her to a boarding place.

I've had good luck leaving my bunny with my friend/pet sitter. This is what I do when we go away on vacation. My bunny likes having people around and my pet sitter is home a lot to keep her company. Her home is also quiet, which is what my bunny likes. I also feel reassured that she is safe at all times. It's well worth the money and my bunny pretty much relaxes as soon as she arrives because she is used to the pet sitter's house.

Latest posts

Back