Bunnies dying suddenly

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shontelle

Reaction score
Hi, I went out to see my mini lop laying on the floor not moving but alive. I picked him up and he made a small squeaking sound, trying to check him I found nothing physically wrong with him. He then had what looked like small spasms/seizure type movements before he died. The next day I went into the yard to find one of my baby bunnies (who lives with his brother and mother) dead. Later that afternoon I found my Netherland dwarf spasming in his cage shortly after he died. The next morning I woke to the mum bunny dead in her cage. This has been over the past couple days. I went from 6 bunnies to 2 and I'm confused, scared and upset. I don't have enough money to take the dead bunnies to find out their cause of death as taking a rabbit to the vet is very pricy where I live (if my bunnies are sick I do take them). I have 2 left and im not sure what to do. I have been going the past couple days cautiously nervous that I will find another dead. I am hoping for some clarity and some help to continue. I love all my animals dearly and have been left devastated. I have looked dup many things from myxomatosis to RVD to council spraying to kill wild rabbits or two something diseased in their food.
Some clarity and help moving forward would be great.

I would suspect RHVD. That would be the most likely cause of sudden death in multiple rabbits with little to no clinical signs. It's highly contagious, fatalities occur quickly, and there may be no outward indicators or just signs of blood at the orifices. Another possibility is a toxin in their environment. If it was a problem or contaminant in their usual food, you would normally see lethargy and lack of appetite, which may be followed with gastrointestinal issues. With GI issues, death isn't usually sudden with no outward indicators. With myxo there will be swelling around the face and other complications before death occurs.

If your remaining two didn't have any contact with the others, you may be able to prevent spread to them by keeping them from surfaces your other rabbits had contact with, and doing the proper disinfecting of yourself and their environment to prevent spread of the disease. You can also ask a knowledgeable rabbit vet about how to proceed and vaccinating your remaining rabbits. I'm very sorry for the rabbits you lost and hope your remaining ones will be alright.
https://rabbit.org/vet-listings/

I would suspect RHVD. That would be the most likely cause of sudden death in multiple rabbits with little to no clinical signs. It's highly contagious, fatalities occur quickly, and there may be no outward indicators or just signs of blood at the orifices. Another possibility is a toxin in their environment. If it was a problem or contaminant in their usual food, you would normally see lethargy and lack of appetite, which may be followed with gastrointestinal issues. With GI issues, death isn't usually sudden with no outward indicators. With myxo there will be swelling around the face and other complications before death occurs.

If your remaining two didn't have any contact with the others, you may be able to prevent spread to them by keeping them from surfaces your other rabbits had contact with, and doing the proper disinfecting of yourself and their environment to prevent spread of the disease. You can also ask a knowledgeable rabbit vet about how to proceed and vaccinating your remaining rabbits. I'm very sorry for the rabbits you lost and hope your remaining ones will be alright.
Thank you so much, the remaining baby lived with the mother and baby who died but so far he is doing fine. Thats one reason why I was really confused because everyone was eating and drinking fine hours before they died. I am being very careful making sure I don't mix any cups or bowls from each rabbit and defiantly not touching them without washing my hands very well before and after touching each of them.

Also how could RHVD get into my yard? They have been in contact with no other animals or people .

Latest posts

Back