Bunnies breathing fast

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aylinox

Reaction score
I have three bunnies, two holland lops and a Netherland dwarf. The holland lops have a cage in their own room and I noticed that lately when they are sitting or laying down they are breathing really fast, almost like shaking a little bit. I know it’s normal when they are running around and playing, but this is when I wake up in the morning or if I check on them in their cages before going to bed.

The dwarf bunny never seems to be breathing fast, they all share the same pellets and hay and always have water. The weather is getting warmer, could it be because of the air? I have a fan I sometimes put it in the room for them when I don’t want the AC on, but they still sometimes are breathing fast.

Being overheated is a possibility. You're being very observant and considerate of contexts as well (discerning breathing after activity vs. inactivity)!

I assume that, like with humans, rabbits vary in fur length, fat distribution, etc., and this can affect the experience of heat. It could be your Netherland feels fine, but the lops do not tolerate the heat as well.

Frozen water bottles in a sock and cooling tiles can help as well!

Latest posts

Back