bunnies and eczema?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pipp

Reaction score
I've suddenly come down with what's probably a food allergy, manifesting itself as eczema in the oddest places -- my fingertips, fingers, earlobes, parts of my face and even in my bellybutton!

Pipp is obsessive when it comes to little cuts and nicks, I have tiny scratches on my arms (probably caused by her to begin with) that will never heal because she chews and licks them every chance she gets. I'msure the eczema will meet the same fate. :yuck

I haven't been able to find any info about whether this can cause problems. Anybody know?

sas

Oh wow, I have no clue. Are you worried about it causing problems for her or you?

Do you have any cream or anything to put on to maybe help it heal and discourage her ravaging you :D? Have you taken some antihistamines like benadryl?

Sounds like Pipp is feeling better though ;)

I've been having similar issues lately. My hands, face and neck (especially neck), and also my belly button have been itching and rashy. I even have something going on in my ears! It itches like crazy. I've been bad about scratching them with cotton swabs(I'm probably making it worse).

I tend to get this sort of thing every Spring, so I'm pretty sure it's allergy related for me.

Haley wrote:
Oh wow, I have no clue. Are you worried about it causing problems for her or you?

Do you have any cream or anything to put on to maybe help it heal and discourage her ravaging you :D? Have you taken some antihistamines like benadryl?

Sounds like Pipp is feeling better though ;)

I lost this post until now. I was (and am) definitely worried about her, I never worry about problems from my bunnies, I even laugh when they bite me. :craziness

Cream is supposed to help, moisturizer is good for eczema, but I'm even more worried about her licking off the cream -- although somebody pointed out skin creams are tested on bunnies in the first place, so they're safe. :tongu2: I don't as a rule get along with antihisamines, they make me vibrate and feel weird.:nerves1

And Pipp is feeling great!! Eating her veggies likea little horse, desperate for her (very) limited oats and pellets. :) Her litter habits headed south though,and haven't returned. :X

She's been waking me up inthe mornings to groom me - which is unusual, she usually waits until I have at least one eye open:whatevah- but the eczema at least for the moment is gone from my face, it's just on my hands, and she can't reach them.

Snuggys Mom wrote:
I've been having similar issues lately. My hands, face and neck (especially neck), and also my belly button have been itching and rashy.I even have something going on in my ears! It itches like crazy. I've been bad about scratching them with cotton swabs(I'm probably making it worse).

I tend to get this sort of thing every Spring, so I'm pretty sure it's allergy related for me.

Hey Laura, you described me to a tee! Except I've never really had it before, so I don't know if its seasonal. I'm not allergic to much else -- dish soap when I was a kid, and more recently tomatoes when I handle them, although they'veonly ever affected my fingers.

I think this was initially a tomato outbreak. It had pretty gone away :) but it popped up again last night when I was sorting through the bag of bunny veggies. It may have been tomato residue, or I'm allergic to multiple veggies. Or something. I'm just happy that it no longer appears to be a food ingestion allergy -- I doubt that I'll have to stop eating wheat, soy, dairy and/or the myriad of other things that seem to be bothering people these days. (Although if its a contact allergy from veggies, the bunnies may be in trouble if I can't prepare their dinner!)

Any idea when triggers yours? Do you get hay fever in the spring? Or just excerma?

sas (aka scratch) :huh

Pipp wrote:
Hey Laura, you described me to a tee!
Any idea when triggers yours? Do you get hay fever in the spring? Or just excerma?
Well, I'm allergic to EVERYTHING, so it's hard to pin down what causes it. It must be airborne, because I only get it where my skin is exposed. The skin that's covered by clothing is usually okay.

I take daily meds and weekly allergy injections, so it's not as bad as it used to be.

BTW, I also have reactions when I touch a tomato. It burns my skin and when I eat it, I get sores inside my mouth.

I feel your pain! Hang in there!

Latest posts

Back