Bunmom stressed out- please help! (Parasites)

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaitlinT00

Reaction score
So today I noticed these little clear/white lines in Bellas poop, and with the help of google its led me to think that she may have some sort of intestinal parasite. Bella has been eating, drinking, and her activity level has been the same. The only difference is that I have noticed a bit of a wet and once a little snot coming from her nose which I was going to keep an eye on before running to the vet (parents told me to wait a few days). But after seeing her poop and comparing it to other pictures on the internet I am freaking out. I linked some photos of two of her recent poops with the "worms" and wanted to see if anyone else agrees with it being parasites. I do plan on taking her to the vet, but I won't be able to until later on tomorrow and I really don't want to be stressed if it turns out to be nothing.

Attachments

• 20200106_225123.jpg
    20200106_225123.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 20200106_225132.jpg
    20200106_225132.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 13
It looks like it could be pinworms. Which is no big deal. I would just get some panacur(fenbendazole) rabbit paste to treat if it's available otc in Canada. But you may have to get it (fenbendazole) from your vet if it is a prescription med in there. The treatment in the link below says to administer one day then repeat 14 days later, but I would do a 5 day treatment then do one more dose 10 days later, as I've read the 5 day treatment is more effective in getting rid of them.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm

But do check the poop closely to make sure it's not just a strand of fur you're seeing.

It looks like it could be pinworms. Which is no big deal. I would just get some panacur(fenbendazole) rabbit paste to treat if it's available otc in Canada. But you may have to get it (fenbendazole) from your vet if it is a prescription med in there. The treatment in the link below says to administer one day then repeat 14 days later, but I would do a 5 day treatment then do one more dose 10 days later, as I've read the 5 day treatment is more effective in getting rid of them.
http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/GI_diseases/Parasitic_diseases/Pass/Pass_en.htm

But do check the poop closely to make sure it's not just a strand of fur you're seeing.

If it is pinworms, can it be transferred to humans at all? And I'm trying to figure out if I have to do a whole room cleaning or if it's just something that stays within the litterbox?

It's a rabbit pinworm, meaning it affects rabbits but not humans. I would just do a thorough general cleaning of the area, but not worry about going too overboard. Your vet should be able to provide cleaning info.

Latest posts

Back