Bunfriend or free roam?

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiecrna

Reaction score
So I am curious of your opinions here....

I have a “free roam” lionhead that HATES to be put in a pen. She is only free roam Bc she doesn’t touch hardwood floors so all I have to do is put a large rug down and make her that space and she doesn’t leave it. So she is free roam Bc of this. If she would walk everywhere I would then put her in a pen for many reasons.

I would love for her to have a bunfriend, but I know that if I did get a second bunny that I would then have to put them in a pen. So I don’t know if she will be happier or not.

I just want a happy bunny that’s what matters to me and I know they are social creatures and I see pics of other paired rabbits and it breaks my heart that she doesn’t have a friend.

So what’s your opinion? Bunfriend in a pen or free roam and single.

And heres the thing... one rabbit is a lot of work for me because I like a super clean area all the time. And I’ve never had two rabbits before so I don’t know if it’s double the mess or the same amount of mess.

I see no reason to get a 2nd bunny if 1.) you aren't keen on the idea yourself, and 2.) she is fine roaming on her carpet.

Most indoor rabbits that get plenty of roaming time and attention can do just fine as single bunnies. I've had singles that seemed perfectly content. I did have one that became single and then seemed to change her personality and get destructive. She happened to be (apparently) one of those more rare bunnies that really needed a bondmate. She went back to her normal self once she found a new bondmate.

In your case, it sounds like she is fine being able to roam on carpet. Everything will change if you get a 2nd bun. The 2nd one may wander everywhere requiring you to lock them up (as you said) except when supervised. The habits of the 2nd bun may be different than your current bun. Maybe he'd be messier in the cage or drop more pellets about -- never know.

It could also change the dynamic altogether. My current widowed bun is like yours -- only goes on carpet. However, when he had his bold bondmate around who was fine on solid floor, her wandering would coax him onto the floor. Now that she's gone, he doesn't do that anymore.

As far as the cage itself, I don't see any more work for 2 buns as for 1 (except litter box fills quicker).

Latest posts

Back