BunBun's house!

Rabbits Online Forum

Help Support Rabbits Online Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BunBun71

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I just wanted to share some information about BunBun's new house!

I don't like store bought hutches because lots of times they are not built well at all and not predator proof. I want BunBun to be safe. I made sure everything is weather proof and snug, so he is fine. My house is a very busy/noisy one and I have found out that he likes living out in his hutch better. Sorry everyone who is against outdoor rabbits..... it's the just the way it works for my family and him. And as I said before, he seems to enjoy it. (Of course I will bring him in on really cold days and nights. :)) Here is a picture of him in his hutch:
DSCN8226.jpg

It looks good.
How cold does it get in your area? I can’t see any bedding or substrate, do you have any straw or something in there? Hay works well too. Sorry, I just wouldn’t want him to get cold. He is a very handsome bunny :)

Hi,
You can’t take a outdoor bunny indoor once it’s cold. If you take him in and out he will get ill. He’s not like us that he can take his jacket off, so what will happen if you take him indoor on cold days/ nights is he will sweat very much and gets ill very quickly.

During cold days and nights they need loads of straw to be able to cuddle in and warm himself best would be a second bunny so they can keep warm from body temperature together.

Bunny’s can do well up to minus twenty degrees but they need a good frost proof hutch for it which needs to be a bit insulated.

Good luck
Eve

Thanks everyone!

@Apollo’s Slave - I will answer your questions when I have more time.

@Blue eyes - He is really enjoying it right now and he will be taken out a lot to play. Trust me. ;)

@Eve84 - Thanks for the info! If you asked any questions (I can't remember if you did) I will answer them later.

I aggre with building your own hutch, however I would caulk the cracks... It'll keep it more insulated and it really helps. Also be sure that there is bedding, iyou really need it outside. I'm not against outside rabbit's considering that all of mine are outside but just make sure that you have insulation. Good luck!

@Blue eyes - He is really enjoying it right now and he will be taken out a lot to play. Trust me. ;)

Not sure what part of the country you are in (state? climate?) but as @Eve84 warned, an outdoor rabbit can't be brought indoors for a few hours at a time. Rabbits can't easily regulate their body temperature. It is stressful on their bodies.

That means all your play time will be outdoors (except when indoors and outdoors temps are similar). Outdoor play time means you need a secure place for him to play. In other words, you still need a run attached to the hutch so he can get his exercise.

Thank you for the info! I'm still SUPER busy so again, I'll answer later! Bye.

oh also, watch for predators... especially coons, they are smart but I have never had a problem. The temperature thing is very important, so be super careful about that!

It looks like the hutch has an enclosed box which could be filled with hay or straw. I like how the area around the ramp has an edge on it so straw or hay can be put on the floor without being kicked down the ramp. The rabbit could be moved to an unheated building like a garage or shed for safety at night or in times of bad weather if necessary. I don't see the cold as a problem, as Eve84 pointed out that rabbits can stand temps of -20 f. If the entire top floor is covered with hay, I would expect the rabbit might use part of the floor for a litter box. The hutch might need a door that can be used to block the entrance to the bottom floor when the ground gets wet. A wet rabbit will catch pneumonia.

Latest posts

Back